Punaweb Forum
centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: centepede bite - helpful advice needed (/showthread.php?tid=4992)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - punafish - 01-15-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Centepedes only bite nice people.

That explains it!

And it explains why I've never been bitten...

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Liz - 01-15-2009

Yowza Andrew, that is ghastly!! Three times the charm?
Better get your place sprayed brah. We've used Hilo Termite, Horizon, & Akamai - all good people, just pick whoever can get there asap!

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Chuysmom - 01-15-2009

OMG Andrew!! Are you OKAY? I can only imagine what that's like having never been stung (knock on wood).

I am so creeped out by the pedes...Hazen used to tease about giant ones before we moved here...I checked my bed every night for months!

Where do you live, Andrew? Are you on lava or dirt?

[8)]

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Andrew - 01-15-2009

Tonight it is bad. Newest bite foot swollen and red and sore.

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - missydog1 - 01-15-2009

OMG indeed ...

Andrew, are you trying any of the stuff?

Swollen, red, and sore ... but is it warm/hot?
If so you should get it looked at ASAP because that's the other symptom of infection.

and put some clay or papaya or one of these remedies on it.
and take the benadryl ...
just want you to be OK

Jerry Carr told me about someone he talked to who got bit recently and his leg turned black ... (not sure why, but it can't be good). So don't let it get away from you.
As I said above, when I got bitten the ER doctor was going to automatically start me on antibiotics.

If the red area starts to move out of the zone where it is, please go take care of it.
I had cellulitis once, and it moves very fast.

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - hooligal - 01-15-2009

I wonder if keeping it elevated would help with the swelling? Any nurse-doctor types want to weigh in? Andrew, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is OK & the centipedes stay away!

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - cwoods61 - 01-15-2009

What's no fun is to see a centipede, and try to get rid of it (I try to catch them and put them outside), and have it get away, and not be able to find it. Makes for one sleepless night...LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

OMG Andrew!! Are you OKAY? I can only imagine what that's like having never been stung (knock on wood).

I am so creeped out by the pedes...Hazen used to tease about giant ones before we moved here...I checked my bed every night for months!

Where do you live, Andrew? Are you on lava or dirt?

[8)]

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - hikatz - 01-16-2009

That is one of the advantages to having chickens, they kill and eat the centipedes![Big Grin]

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Greg - 01-16-2009

That's true, but they make such a mess in the bedroom !

RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - Liz - 01-16-2009

Elevation helps with swelling but if there's poison in the system you want to keep the area lowered. Red, hot & swollen can happen from an allergic reaction or an infection - not enough information. Take your temperature - if it's elevated then infection is likely. Or, take a benadryl - if that helps then it's allergic reaction. Not to say it couldn't both. Like Kathy said, keep an eye on it and get thee to a Doctor asap if needed.

Keep us posted Andrew. We're all pulling for you.

(Note: I'm not a medical professional, but have had lots of backcountry experience.)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."