Punaweb Forum
pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village (/showthread.php?tid=830)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Rob Tucker - 01-07-2007

I am really quite surprised that the Trib did not print one word about this Puna issue. The vote at council meeting was covered by the Trib but nothing on this rezoning.

No question on why the council passed a resolution delaying any rezoning in Kona and Kohala until their community development plan is complete but Puna is not entitled to the same consideration.

Perhaps some "letter to the editor" writing is needed now. Bills 220 & 221 resurface in council on Jan. 19th.

<letters@hawaiitribune-herald.com>

Meanwhile Hunter Bishop is keeping us informed. Thank you Hunter!

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Kahunascott - 01-07-2007

I spoke to Emily this morning at the Makuu Flea Market. She is 110% behind the zoning change for the U-Store it. Seems this guy is offering a house for the homeless and some cash for them to. Helping the homeless is ok with me but I think that the two issues should be separated. I asked her about once we open the door to commercial zoning on 130 how do we control it or turn back. She said that each application would be handled separately. This is a very interesting approach to the application and approval system. (Sounds like I’m back in NJ) She put down all the emails she received concerning the approval process for this zoning variance. I’m afraid that if up to her we will loose our voice in this issue.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Rob Tucker - 01-07-2007

The result will lie in the hands and minds of the other eight council members then. She is one of nine.

It would be interesting to ask Emily why she voted to restrain rezoning in Kona and Kohala and doesn't support that position for her own district.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - adias - 01-07-2007

The strategy of a business owners donating (tax deductible) money and getting their way is quite common and will occur many times over in Puma. Basically, there are two camps of people in Puna, these who want to live and enjoy the quite rural life and those who see Puna as a business opportunity.

Unless the folks who want to live the quite life gets organized and proactively put in measures to control growth, expect unexpected surprises at every turn. This needs to start from electing people who are advocates for controlled development.

Punaweg.org is a good place to start an activist organization for controlled grown in Puna. The village concept is a great idea. Might be worthwhile to meet up with the folks in Kauai Hanalei and see how they managed to hold of the hordes.

Edited by - adias on 01/08/2007 02:18:01

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - JerryCarr - 01-08-2007

Kahunascott, I would like to know more about what Ms. Naeole said about the emails against the zoning change, being one who emailed myself. My message was polite and respectful. I have heard that she tends to be loudly disdainful of those who disgree with her. (Or at least that is what some of the folks on Hunter Bishop's blog report.) She is not getting off to a good start, and some voters tend to have a longer memory than politicians think. What is so hard about waiting a few months for the Community Development Plan?

Not so cheerful about this,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 01/08/2007 07:45:54

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Seeb - 01-08-2007

Spot zoning is contrary to most states codes.and if you do it, it's hard to stand up aganist court challenges from anybody else wanting to do it

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Genxor - 01-08-2007

I always find community activists very interesting.
They decide that writing to their representative is simply not enough.

"Form an anti - growth group " they say.
"Write letters , picket". Then after the governing body approves the re-zoning etc. , then its " Lets take the case to court"

Why elect anyone ? Whomever yells the loudest or stirs up enough stink should have the job ,right ? After all Emily wasnt elected by a majority of those that voted was she ?
Is there a petition containing names of over 50 % of the population of Puna that are opposed to this ? Maybe a poll ?

I support and believe that everyone has the right to lobby their elected official, but when issues are overstated, " Vote threatens Pahoa Village " , or adias comment that the basic two camps in Puna are the "quiet rural life set " or " see it as a business opportunity " is ridiculous.

It all smacks of anti-growth , nimby, we dont want it , go away.

Hearing from mainland transplants that they moved to Puna to escape the rat race , and that the newbies shouldnt bring their mainland mentality with them is very humorous to say the least.

Orchidland surveyed residents this past spring , because a very vocal few that attended meetings were voicing their opposition to continued paving of streets etc,basically opposed anything resembling progress.
Did the survey find that this "no progress" set was correct ? Nope . 85 % were for continued paving of roads and progress.

No one is for " uncontrolled growth".
No one wants 130 or any other road lined with businesses.
No one wants " an activist organization for controlled growth "

This issue has moved from a simple rezoning , right or wrong , to an anti-growth, anti-Emily, dont pave Puna issue.

Heres my overstatement: " Slow growth advocates threaten to severely damage Big Island economic growth "....
or maybe, " South Puna residents forced to throw furniture into jungle after rezoning for storage facility turned down by council."

Breathe people breathe.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - JerryCarr - 01-08-2007

I, for one, am not opposed to all commercial development in Puna. I actually hold the opinion that smart commercial development is essential for a sane future. Well-placed shopping, service, recreational, and educational facilities would reduce the traffic to and from Hilo on 130 in two ways. First, fewer people would have to commute to Hilo for work, and, second, fewer would have to go there to meet all their shopping and service needs. The village center concept has a lot of merit, and should include large full-service grocery stores as well as smaller shops.

What I object to is someone doing an end-around the community based planning process for what appears to be a pet project. Homeless assistance is certainly a worthy end, but I have to question the means in this case.

Growth is inevitable, but we do have choices for how we deal with it. Ms. Naeole and her friends have to realize that they will catch flak when they pursue policies that a significant part of the community opposes.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Rob Tucker - 01-16-2007

This issue (Bills 220 & 221) comes up for a vote again this Friday, Jan. 19th. which create the first commercial zoning on Hwy. 130. [It was postponed from the Jan. 4. Council Meeting]

This legal precedent could pave the way for strip malls on the highway. Commercial development on Hwy. 130 would threaten every Pahoa business. Do you want this?

Tell all council members to
vote NO on Bill 220 and Bill 221

Council members phone: 961-8225

Here are Council members email addresses:

J. Yosimoto <jyoshimoto@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Emily Naeole <enaeole@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Dominic Yagong <dyagong@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Don Ikeda <dikeda@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Stacy Higa <shiga@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Bob Jacobson <jjaco@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Brenda Ford <bford@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Angel Pilago <kapilago@co.hawaii.hi.us>
Peter Hoffman <phoffmann@co.hawaii.hi.us>

While the Puna Community Development Plan is in progress it is inappropriate for such rezoning applications to be approved. Community input, via the CDP is to maintain the rural character of Puna. One commercial development, benign as it may seem, will lead to another. Do we want strip malls, car lots, bars and neon lights on our primary road way? Do we want mainland style development? What about traffic safety?

Bill 220 (2004-2006): Amends the State Land Use Boundaries Maps for the County of Hawai‘i by Changing the District Classification from the Agricultural to the Urban District at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680 Intr. by: Mr. Pilago Approve: PC-4

Bill 221 (Draft 2) (2004-2006): Amends Section 25-8-26 (Pahoa Zone Map), Article 8, Chapter 25 (Zoning Code) of the Hawai‘i County Code 1983 (2005 Edition), by Changing the District Classification from Agricultural (A-1a) to Industrial-Commercial Mixed (MCX-1a) at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680.1 Intr. by: Mr. Safarik (B/R) Approve: PC-5

How to submit testimony to council consideration:

(from the county web site)

Submitting Testimony: Those persons wishing to testify in person must register with the Council/Clerk’s staff.

Those testifying in person and submitting written testimony should bring seventeen (17) copies of the testimony for distribution at the meeting.

Those persons unable to testify in person may submit testimony
(1) by mail to the County Clerk’s Office in Hilo at 25 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawai‘i 96720,
(2) by facsimile to (808) 961-8912, or
(3) by e-mail to counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us.

Please submit a separate testimony for each item.
For testimonies submitted by e-mail or fax, copies will be made and distributed at the meeting when transmitted in a timely manner. In any case, both oral and written testimony will be considered public record.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - adias - 01-16-2007

It has always befuddled me that in a representative democracy, such as ours there appears to be such a large disconnect between the wishes of the citizens and the choices of the elected officials.

The problem is most likely due to us citizens not exercising our very basic and fundamental rights of voting and clearly letting our elected officials know our wishes.

Here in a very small way an opportunity to express your views to your elected officials, whether you’re for or against this measure. I would encourage all of you, residents, property owners and interested observers to email the representatives and express your views on this matter. Please try not to rant, it makes the message ineffective.

It would be of great help, if some of you verbal superstars articulate a position and post so others can cut, paste and perhaps modify and email.

It might be worthwhile to perhaps contact some of the other Puna associations such as http://www.orchidland.org/olca.php and http://www.hawaiianparadisepark.org/ to encourage their members to engage as well.

Aloha
Ajit

Edited by - adias on 01/17/2007 01:45:38