Punaweb Forum
Furlough Friday coming back - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Furlough Friday coming back (/showthread.php?tid=21712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Guest - 04-16-2020

Less pay equals less ability to pay. It's a stupid plan. Seems to me if Ige wants to do something he should force the banks to reduce the debt by 20%.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - ironyak - 04-16-2020

Chuckster I think you lost track of the bouncing ball (or maybe I did), but I agree with you (and Orwell).

Unspoken truth - "Inequality was the price of civilization."
Budget plans - "Two and two make five"

leilanidude - Property tax increases only for those with children in school, because they are the ones who use the schools, right?

This is always a fun argument - you want to know the real cost of an disillusioned, uneducated mass of youth, unable to get jobs and support themselves? Be ready to pay when they come knocking at your door...

leilanidude - Property tax increases only for those with children in school, because they are the ones who use the schools, right?

See what happens when we allow the so-called fiscally conservative to underfunded our schools? They no longer can do simple math.

Thanks Yak for trying to at least temper this insanity.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-16-2020

Why choose just one impact when you can have them all?

Isn't that the definition of a true compromise? When everyone gives up something, and in the end no one is happy?

There's plenty to complain about since the start of the pandemic. At this point it looks like most of us will survive, some will lose work, or take a pay cut, or contribute more in taxes. In the overall scheme of things there were a lot worse potential outcomes. I've already lost business, but I'm willing to pay more taxes if that's what it takes to keep the islands above water.

I won't like it, but no one else will either. We'll all come up with better plans, but if we look closely at our plan, it's probably better because it affects us least.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-16-2020

you want to know the real cost of an disillusioned, uneducated mass of youth, unable to get jobs and support themselves?

I like to look at it as an investment opportunity. If students stay in school, get decent grades, graduate, find a good paying job, they'll fund my social security check.

Thanks kids!

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - leilanidude - 04-16-2020

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

This is always a fun argument - you want to know the real cost of an disillusioned, uneducated mass of youth, unable to get jobs and support themselves? Be ready to pay when they come knocking at your door...

ironyak - To be fair, it should be noted that Hawaii is already full of disillusioned, uneducated masses of youths, despite the money we keep throwing away at the education system. Why is the answer to this always the same - the teachers need more money? We keep raising teacher pay and benefits but we have not received the benefits on our end.

but we have not received the benefits on our end..

Consider yourself lucky our laws protect those that can not see.. and you're free to beat your head against that wall, endlessly.

despite the money we keep throwing away at the education system

Yeah, those fat cat teachers are living large for doing nothing, especially here in Hawaii (whose income adjusted for cost of living is always near the bottom). Maybe "all that money" doesn't actually add up in context and by chronically underpaying it's creating the problems you complain about?

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-06-01-graph-where-do-us-teacher-salaries-really-go-the-furthest

And again, how could you ever benefit from having children educated and able to get decent jobs to fund the liabilities that retirees depend on? You really think "ok boomer" is the extent of the inter-generational anger and resentment that has been developing over the last decade or more? Just wait...

"Hey kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight
So stick around"

I hope you're independently wealthy and can roll your own everything, as when states need to balance budgets, they often deep their beak in any source of income possible.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/02/06/whitmer-pension-tax-michigan/4680657002/

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - terracore - 04-16-2020

This whole event may have caused a type of revolution that leads to new ways of doing things. A lot of companies that have switched to telework are wondering why they were paying for real estate for their employees to occupy when they can shift that cost to the employee. Do we really need schools any more? My daughter has done both regular and online learning and says the online learning works better for her. If they blended online learning with the few things that have to be done in person they could get rid of half the buildings and staff. Necessity is the mother of invention, not having the money to do things "the old way" may be the catalyst to get rid of old practices that can be automated or replaced with technology.

Do we need a DMV? Is there a single thing that can't be done online or at a kiosk? The only thing I can think of is a driver's test. That could be performed by the driver's ed instructors. Why do we need safety checks? Every other state I've lived in the owner did it themselves and the cops pulled them over if they didn't do it well. They caught a lot of drunk drivers that way. I understand the safety checks are performed by private mechanics but the program has to be overseen by state or county employees performing a useless function. They could change the registration to every 2 years and halve the number of employees needed to stuff the renewals into the envelopes and mail them (or whatever they do).