Punaweb Forum
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 (/showthread.php?tid=6948)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - PaulW - 02-27-2010

Expert on tv just said max 1 meter (3 foot) surge in Hilo.

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - rbakker - 02-27-2010

Police just came by to tell us to start moving out.

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - kani-lehua - 02-27-2010

it was reported that several areas will have water outages (water will be shut off). the ones that i recall are: vacationland, kalapana and pohoiki.
it is advised to conserve water--no showers, washing of dishes or flushing toilets.

renee reported that people have remained calm while shopping at sack n save puainako.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - missydog1 - 02-27-2010

>>>renee reported that people have remained calm while shopping at sack n save puainako.
I guess all the shovers ran over to Walmart.

Thanks for the news on water shutoffs. Really useful to know. On Maui they are shutting down wastewater systems, maybe other islands too. Talk about stink!

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - JerryCarr - 02-27-2010

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

>>>

Thanks for the news on water shutoffs. Really useful to know. On Maui they are shutting down wastewater systems, maybe other islands too. Talk about stink!

For once, being on catchment with a cesspool may have an advantage! But seriously, these are wise precautions to prevent bigger problems or even permanent damage to the systems.

Let's all hope that the lower wave heights projected prove to be the case. I only hope that if this turns out to be a "non-event," that people don't ignore the warnings when the inevitable big one comes.

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - lluberesm - 02-27-2010

I have not been on in a long while but you guys are always on my mind and in my heart. I hope everyone is ok and staying safe. If anything does occur and there is anything I might be able to do for anyone please do not hesitate do drop me an email. Be safe and take care everyone!

Lenny

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - radioguy - 02-27-2010

Live cams from Hilo Bay show nothing yet.

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - Kelena - 02-27-2010

Good point. Jerry. Most people don't remember that a year before Katrina, there was a very scary hurricane called Ivan. It was on a beeline for New Orleans and so most people --millions-- evacuated. It veered right just before hitting the Louisiana coastline.

They bred complacency and a long came Katrina the next year.

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - LEROY - 02-27-2010

I don't care if the big wave comes. I think civil defense is doing a great job of trying to keep people safe. glad to see people here care about each other[Smile]

RE: Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10 - Ed Smay - 02-27-2010

Radioguy, which cams are you watching? Can not get to the Hilo Tsunami Cam site, must be shut down

"From knowledge comes understanding"