Punaweb Forum
Furlough Friday coming back - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Furlough Friday coming back (/showthread.php?tid=21712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - ironyak - 04-16-2020

Unemployment in Hawaii is over 37% now, more than during the so-called "Great" Depression. (but everything is still ok right? Who ever could have seen this coming months ago... )

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/04/16/unemployment-hawaii-tops-coronavirus-shutdown-continues/

"HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - More than 1 in 3 workers Hawaii has lost a job as a result of the COVID-19 shutdown, new figures from the state Labor Department show.

Most of those laid off are connected to the tourism industry, which has been at a standstill since stay-at-home orders went into effect followed by travel-related quarantines.

In February, Hawaii’s workforce was about 651,000 strong, and unemployment was just 2.7% #8213; far below the national average.

From March 1 to Thursday, the number of unemployment claims filed in the islands stands at a staggering 244,330.

That puts the state at more than 37% unemployment."

more at link

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - kalakoa - 04-16-2020

If they blended online learning with the few things that have to be done in person

Not a new idea: UH calls that the "8-week/hybrid" format.

Why do we need safety checks?

Why can't safety checks and registration be the same appointment?

More than 1 in 3 workers Hawaii has lost a job

Only in the private sector. HGEA and HSTA should stop complaining about possible cuts.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Guest - 04-16-2020

Online learning options.. ..do not work for every student or for every subject

Yeah.. and then there are those pesky social skills. You know, like learning how to deal with authority, cope with petty tyrants, be patient, listen to opposing views. No need any of that, as long as we have FB groups, right?

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - ironyak - 04-16-2020

Do we really need schools any more?
Yes (unless you're leilanidude, then f#ck those kids)

My daughter has done both regular and online learning and says the online learning works better for her.

Online learning options are great and we are lucky that some of our local schools offer it. They do not work for every student or for every subject (chemistry, band, football, just to name a few of the more obvious examples)

Nor do they work for many families that need to have two working adults to pay the bills and so kids need a school to go to during this time. Much of the pushback about closing local schools recently was about this issue so how would you solve this?

As for other possibilities, sure, lots to consider as ways to preserve services while reducing overhead. But for every person let go, that is less money being spent in the community on other services so there are indirect costs imposed on all businesses attached to those tax dollars being "saved" (and respent on unemployment)

The term economic death spiral keeps coming to mind, over and over, and around and around again...

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Obie - 04-17-2020

In Hawaii the Gov wants a 20% paycut.
In Ohio the Gov is planning a 20% furlough.

Here is what Delta Airlines employees are doing :

Securing Delta's Position in this Crisis

It has been an extraordinary few weeks, to say the least, for our business, our nation and our world. Just over a month ago we were celebrating a record Profit-Sharing Day; today we face the greatest economic challenge in our history as the world grapples with the growing COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

I want to thank the more than 13,000 people who have stepped up to take voluntary unpaid leaves – this is the most important thing anyone can do right now to support Delta. While I'm grateful to the thousands that have volunteered, we could use more, so please seriously consider whether this is the right short-term decision for you and your family.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - ironyak - 04-17-2020

So, more workers please leave without pay while we ask for billions in Federal bailout money? And you see this working here how?

Maybe everyone on social security should donate all their money the their favorite corporation? It's all government deficit handouts payed for by future generations anyways, can just skip congress having to waste time picking and choosing the winners and losers.

Do your part - Uncle Sam Wants You to Pay Up!

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Guest - 04-17-2020

And you see this working here how?

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it. Maybe ask the kids to kick back 20% on the cost of raising them?

I don't know Yak, though I am sure Obie ran right out and donated his stimulus money to some needy Hawaiian family. After all, he has always been at the fore of extending his compassion to the less fortunate.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - terracore - 04-17-2020

quote:
Originally posted by Obie

In Hawaii the Gov wants a 20% paycut.
In Ohio the Gov is planning a 20% furlough.

Here is what Delta Airlines employees are doing :

Securing Delta's Position in this Crisis

It has been an extraordinary few weeks, to say the least, for our business, our nation and our world. Just over a month ago we were celebrating a record Profit-Sharing Day; today we face the greatest economic challenge in our history as the world grapples with the growing COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

I want to thank the more than 13,000 people who have stepped up to take voluntary unpaid leaves – this is the most important thing anyone can do right now to support Delta. While I'm grateful to the thousands that have volunteered, we could use more, so please seriously consider whether this is the right short-term decision for you and your family.

Delta is forbidden to furlough or lay off workers until after September 30th due to the strings tied to getting a $5.4 billion grant and $1.6 billion loan from the federal government as part of the CARES Act.

I am sure Obie ran right out and donated his stimulus money to some needy Hawaiian family.

Actually I saw this article about the volunteer fire department in my hometown in Ohio. There should be no needy Hawaiian's, after all they had the money to support a months long protest camp.

https://tinyurl.com/yal6tyce

Here's the approach the other airlines are taking. Once the airlines drop these cities it could be years before they restart. Have fun swimming to the mainland.

As part of the CARES Act air service requirements, Hawaiian, Alaska, American, and United have put in requests to DOT to completely suspend service to some Hawaii airports, or in the case of Hawaiian, mainland cities they have served.
In the case of the United request, they're looking to completely remove their cities from their schedule through to October regardless of what's what with COVID-19. Beyond cutting off residents and tourists, it also cuts off the ability for Hawaii farms/companies to export fresh fruit/produce/fish and other perishable cargo out via air.
DOT Suspended City Service Requests:
Alaska Airlines
-Kahului (OGG)
-Kona (KOA)
-Lihue (LIH)
American Airlines
-Kahului (OGG)
-Kona (KOA)
-Lihue (LIH)
United Airlines
-Hilo (ITO)
-Kona (KOA)
-Kahului (OGG)
-Lihue (LIH)
Hawaiian
-Boston (BOS)
-Las Vegas (LAS)
-Long Beach (LGB)
-New York (JFK)
-Oakland (OAK)
-Phoenix (PHX)
-Sacramento (SMF)
-San Diego (SAN)
-San Jose (SJC)
-Seattle (SEA)
-Kapalua / West Maui (JHM)
Southwest is also in on the CARES Act funding, but they haven't filed with the DOT which cities they wish to drop.