Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Monk Seal at Richardson Beach
We went to several areas of Hilo today to walk, then took a drive over to Richardson Beach Park. Right at the main sand entry point was a large Hawaiian Monk seal, sunning and sleeping in the sand. It had been there for a while, as the area was completely taped off to prevent any entry or exit at the usual spot to access the water. There were a couple of ladies providing information about the seal. One mentioned to me that she hoped it would "sleep there all day." Nice surprise on Christmas Day!
it may stay for a week or two.. the last one I saw at Kehena did that.... the people that track them near Maui/Big Island usually know all about the individual, its age, sex, who its parents are, the closest other ones etc... they had that info on the one I saw in Kehena....
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha