Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overthrow of Hawaiian Chiefdoms and Kingdoms
As there are often many comments made concerning the Hawaiian Kingdom, and the 1893 overthrow in other non-related threads, I thought it might be a good idea to gather all of them together in one thread, with the Hawaiian Kingdom and overthrow(s) all in an appropriate location. Here.

I'd like to start with the real leader of Puna, Keoua. Was he defeated in battle? Did he abdicate his position in a bloodless coup? Neither:

In the 1780's and early 1790's Keoua was the leader of the eastern side of Hawaii Island, including Puna and Hilo. Numerous battles and skirmishes took place between Keoua and Kamehameha, or between Keoua and allies of Kamehemeha.

The battle of Kepuwaha’ula’ula, or the Battle of the Red-Mouthed Gun, which involved cannons mounted into canoes had just concluded when:

Although Keoua was not involved in the Battle of Kepuwaha’ula’ula, the results had a profound effect on his thoughts. Kamehameha invited Keoua to meet with him at the newly completed temple at Pu’ukohola. Surprisingly, Keoua agreed, traveling by canoe with a few of his advisers. As soon as Keoua set foot on land, he was fatally speared by some of Kamehameha’s followers. His body was then used as a sacrifice to consecrate the new temple and ensure Kamehameha’s rule over the entire island chain.
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/m...of-hawaii/

Our leader, Keoua, accepted Kamehameha's invitation in good faith. Kamehameha could not defeat him fairly, face to face in battle, so he tricked Keoua, ambushed him, then sacrificed him. Is this really unification? Isn't it time Puna-ites and Punatics take a closer look at this illegal takeover of our lands?

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Goes right to what I always ask...

At what point in time does the "kingdom" clock get reset to? Who decides this? Does it get reset to before Captain Cook's arrival? Do any of the Menehune get a say?
Maybe we can start our own kingdom and finance it by selling rocks.
The events of 1893 have sometimes been called an overthrow. But was it? What occurred prior to that time could also be called a wedding ceremony between Hawaiian royalty and the West.

Here is a photo from the 1880's showing:
Seated (from left to right) Laura Cleghorn, Princess Liliuokalani, Princess Likelike and Keawepooole. Standing (from left to right) Thomas Cleghorn, John Owen Dominis and Archibald Scott Cleghorn.

Behind Liliuokalani stands her husband John Owen Dominis, an American statesman.
Behind Princess Likelike stands her husband Archibald Scott Cleghorn from Scotland.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...lative.jpg
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves