Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
overtime for County employees
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ck-pay-out

That's right, folks: $320M/year salary+benefits, hefty raises all around, but we still "need" another $14M in overtime.

"Most of it is the case of having more work than available people to do it," Kucharski said.

Maybe County should be hiring more people? Just a few more dollars on your property tax bill, right?
overtime for county employees, most notably in the police and fire departments

Don't get me wrong, I like the fire department as much as the next guy, but how do they get overtime? Their job requires a lot of waiting, and it seems that can be accomplished while on regular duty. Or do they drive to a fire on their regular shift, and then continue to put out the flames after they'd normally punch out?

Same with police. Does their ticket writing protocol which requires a full contingent of squad cars to pull over a scofflaw, and then, whoops, shoulda been back at the station to punch out, turn into overtime? Or are there not enough officers to fill in the schedule 24 hours a day should some officers fall ill or take vacation? (Sick days - $$$, Vacation time - $$$, and while you're away from your job and paid your fellow officers also receive Overtime - $$$?)

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves