Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unpermitted, off-grid, and grateful!
Technically, you can insure anything. The question is the premium. What does it cost to insure an unpermitted home compared to a permitted one?
(06-27-2020, 07:08 PM)terracore Wrote: Technically, you can insure anything.  The question is the premium.  What does it cost to insure an unpermitted home compared to a permitted one?

Good question.  I'm guessing the same?   My neighbor had insurance for about 25 years on his until the company abruptly dropped him.

Most people without permits probably don't bother getting insurance.
I was thinking liability. You know when someone breaks in to steal your tv and gets hurt.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
breaks in to steal your

Based on the thieves I've met in Puna, they would break in, steal your weed, get injured, then call the cops on you.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Most homeowner's insurance extends liability coverage to other vacant lot(s) a person owns at no extra cost. You have to give the TMK to the insurance agent to have them add to the property to start the coverage.

You can also have liability-only coverage to a property.

FWIW, we have farm insurance (liability only) to cover things our homeowner's policy does not. Although it's liability-only, it actually costs more than our homeowners insurance that covers liability and property damage. Though, it does have higher limits that it pays. I don't think our homeowner's policy covers us if we sell produce to somebody and they claim they got RLW from it, that is where the farm insurance kicks in.
@terracore What's the ballpark cost per month for farm insurance?
Our policy is $500/year. ($41ish/month).

I can probably do better either by lowering the max payout per event or finding a different company. I was somewhat pressured to sign up quickly because we started providing chicken butchering classes on the farm and there were all kinds of ways that people could get injured so I went with the first place we found. I was able to get the price down a bit (it was originally higher) by getting rid of "cyber" liability coverage.

If anybody has leads on policies, would love to hear about them.

Some of our sheep got out a few months ago and ate the neighbor's landscaping. Fortunately, they like our sheep more than "stuff that is going to grow back anyways".
I have no problems with anyone having an unpermitted home in my neighborhood as long as they don't cause me any grief. As an added bonus, if they do cause me grief, I have an option to get rid of them. Honestly, most of the places in Eden Roc are not permitted and that's just fine. I'm glad we did an 'as built' permit for our place although it cost us an arm and a leg, but in the end we had a much better home with more amenities like a 10k gallon catchment, HELCO hookup and a cess pit to deal with waste. There's even high speed internet now, woo!
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Do people living in unpermitted homes need to be careful about who they hire to do repairs? Would a big contractor not want to work on an unpermitted structure, or worse yet, report you? If you're not able to do the work yourself, is it better to try to find a good handyman known for working on unpermitted places?