Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Waikoloa ordered to evacuate
In the off chance anyone here might be effected, or know someone who is and would want to reach out and help..

Waikoloa Village residents ordered to evacuate as raging brush fire continues

WAIMEA (HawaiiNewsNow) - An out-of-control wildfire on Hawaii Island has now burned more than 40,000 acres in the Waimea area and destroyed at least one home, prompting emergency officials to urge residents to prepare for additional evacuations and road closures.

Just after noon Sunday, Hawaii County authorities issued an evacuation order for residents in Waikoloa Village.
Residents were told to take immediate action, gather belongings and evacuate. Officials say an evacuation center has been opened at the Old Kona Airport.
Buses are available for transportation at the Waikoloa Village Golf Course and Waikoloa Village Elementary School..

More... video and such.. here.. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/07/31...ii-island/
If only there were extra vacation rental capacity these people wouldn't have to sleep in their cars.

$1250 a night, wow...
Not to be macabre, but I found myself wondering: if Waikoloa Village burns to the ground, will anyone challenge their right to rebuild?
... will anyone challenge their right to rebuild?

Do you mean to imply that a repeatable natural event in an area with occasional lava flows is in some way similar to a repeatable natural event like a massive fire, that occasionally burns up combustible trees, underbrush, and layers of leaves in a characteristically hot and dry area?  When after the fire, trees and shrubs will regrow and start the process all over again?
Naw, the County will just buy up Waikoloa Village and turn it into a park.
I was staying there in 2005 for a classic car cruise in. We were evacuated so I guess it's time to offer a buyout and move everyone out.
Buyouts are for primary residences and not for vacation rentals. Not sure of the exact breakdown up there.
(08-02-2021, 12:31 AM)MyManao Wrote: In the off chance anyone here might be effected, or know someone who is and would want to reach out and help..

Waikoloa Village residents ordered to evacuate as raging brush fire continues

WAIMEA (HawaiiNewsNow) - An out-of-control wildfire on Hawaii Island has now burned more than 40,000 acres in the Waimea area and destroyed at least one home, prompting emergency officials to urge residents to prepare for additional evacuations and road closures.

Just after noon Sunday, Hawaii County authorities issued an evacuation order for residents in Waikoloa Village.
Residents were told to take immediate action, gather belongings and evacuate. Officials say an evacuation center has been opened at the Old Kona Airport.
Buses are available for transportation at the Waikoloa Village Golf Course and Waikoloa Village Elementary School..

More... video and such.. here.. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/07/31...ii-island/

Let us learn from Maui and get our act together before Waikoloa becomes the next Lahaina
Found this in the Trib, letters to the Editor 8/15/23

Improve the emergency road

The Maui fire is a wake-up call. The emergency access road in Waikoloa must be improved to allow sufficient cars to exit the village.

The existing road is not adequate to allow over the 8,000 residents to safely exit in a timely manner. The road must graded and expanded so we can safely leave our homes.

I implore the Waikoloa Village Association and Hawaii County to expedite this project to avoid a repeat of the Maui disaster.

Donald R. Stiger

Waikoloa Village
Today's Tribune.

"Is Waikoloa prepared? Tragic Maui fires stir concern in the village"

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...e-village/