Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Acres CC burst water tank
I drove by the community center in Hawaiian Acres yesterday and saw this:   The water tank completely split open and ruined.  It's a big one too.  Must be more than 10,000 gallons as it's much bigger than my 7,500.  The weeds across the road flattened as it looks like the surge traveled far.

How did this happen?  It's younger than mine and looked in fairly decent shape.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/h011h011
It's rusted at the seams. You can see the one that failed, it's a jagged tear.
Hey, dues and transfer fees can buy a couple gallons of rust converter and paint, or they can buy a whole new 20,000 gallon catchment. Either way it is someone else's money!
It didn't seem like the rust was bad enough to cause it to burst in my previous drive byes and viewings but Obie has a point about the nature of the jagged tear in the pic.  I was wondering if someone backed into it or it was intentionally sabotaged.

Yeah randomq, when it was put together and erected (many years after I got my very similar tank) they never painted it.  That might have helped?  Ironically there's some huge graffiti tag marks spray painted on the back side that's still intact.
There is a black coal tar type paint for such structures. Prior to assembling mine I painted each piece inside and out so that every square inch of metal was coated, then I assembled it.
dues and transfer fees

Neither are mandatory; maybe someone will donate repairs or a new tank, or we can just approve that $75M road project so that the County fire department will have better access?
Maybe they can tie the road project into the new sewer system !
https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2022/...ce-issued/
I don't know when the tank burst but there was a 4.5 EQ the day this was posted.
The seams are rusted because of fretting. The tank actually expands and contracts with heat and by the level of the water in the tank.
It wears away at the galvanizing and eventually rusts.
You can see that every seam is rusted.
Throw in an earthquake and away it goes.