Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hosted (owner occupied) Short Term Vacation Rentals
This legislation should be shelved because it has been so watered down to be largely ineffective at addressing the problems created by the STVRs. Comparing the minimalist requirements in this proposed bill to what is already in place in many other counties incl. Honolulu and Maui its clear that the opponents of this bill have already won. 

I live in an ag. zoned area and have to deal with the various burdens that my neighbors have imposed upon me due to their unpermitted hosted VR operations. I feel strongly that these sorts of commercial operations should be confined to the specific zoning in which they were intended. If we continue to allow this then why not allow other commercial operations such as auto repair, various retail outlets, and a long list of other services and commercial activities. It's only fair. As a farmer myself, I might prefer to generate my primary source of income from some other enterprise.
Anyone can sympathize with your frustrations and the frustrations of folks who need decent housing. That is a given. I get aggravated and wish there were rules to prevent things that I dislike. I get it.

That said, you may HAVE to find other sources of income because the "we" feels empowered to tell you if and how you will be ALLOWED to farm. Farmers are being shut down all over the country and all over the world. Property rights are dissappearing. It's all fun and games until you are at the wrong end of the barrel. Think long and hard about who "we" is and how much power you want "we" to have. It's a very slippery slope. JMO

Thank you for farming!
Case in point: https://bigislandnow.com/2024/04/13/hawa...mendation/
these sorts of commercial operations should be confined to the specific zoning

While technically correct, these zoning types only exist in areas which the State has designated "Urban". There is a very limited supply of such land, so this "reasonable" requirement effectively eliminates STVRs. Anyone care to guess how the County will make up for the revenue shortfall?
(04-15-2024, 06:21 PM)kalakoa Wrote: these sorts of commercial operations should be confined to the specific zoning

While technically correct, these zoning types only exist in areas which the State has designated "Urban". There is a very limited supply of such land, so this "reasonable" requirement effectively eliminates STVRs. Anyone care to guess how the County will make up for the revenue shortfall?

Well I can only imagine that the county, being excellent stewards of their constituent's money, would establish a blue-ribbon committee to investigate how tax money is being spent and find efficiencies they could implement, waste that could be corrected, and eliminate unnecessary redundancies.  I'm sure the unions would fully agree because.... well, their employees are tax payers too, right?!

Just kidding!  The only possible options are to bloat the budget with higher taxes and if that doesn't work they can furlough the workers using paid leave on Fridays.