Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas to those sick of helicopter noise
Unverified Social Media post. Sorry the formatting doesn't work out, but I'm sure you can get the gist of it:

[color=var(--primary-text)]Community News: Revised Management Plan for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Imposes Substantial Restrictions on Air Tours[/color]

[color=var(--primary-text)]On December 20, the National Park Service and the Federal Aviation Administration finalized an Air Tour Management Plan for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The plan substantially reduces the volume of helicopter and fixed-wing tours within the park. It outlines provisions for ongoing air tours at diminished frequencies over the park and within a half-mile of its perimeter. The plan's primary objectives are to safeguard the park's natural and cultural resources, preserve wilderness areas, uphold the integrity of Native Hawaiian sacred ceremonial sites and regions, and enhance visitor experiences.[/color]

The National Park Service's plan authorizes up to 1,548 air tours annually on three specific routes within the designated boundaries, marking a substantial reduction from the previous yearly count of over 11,300 flights. These air tours are permitted between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. local time on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Air tours using quiet technology that meets specific criteria may operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on those days and Wednesdays.

[color=var(--primary-text)]The plan designates three air tour routes that intentionally avoid the summit of Kīlauea, aiming to safeguard critical cultural and natural resources, visitor use areas, and park wilderness. Air tours are restricted to these specified routes.[/color]

[color=var(--primary-text)]Additionally, the plan includes several no-fly periods:[/color]
  1. [color=var(--primary-text)]No-fly days on Sundays.[/color]

2. [color=var(--primary-text)]No-fly days during six traditional Hawaiian holidays: End of Makahiki (typically in January), Zenith Noon (typically in May), Summer Solstice (June), Zenith Noon (typically in July), Start of Makahiki (typically in October), and Winter Solstice (December).[/color]

3. [color=var(--primary-text)]No-fly days on two dates honoring important Hawai'i Island aliʻi, individuals of traditional nobility: Ruth Ke'elikōlani (February 9) and Bernice Pauahi Bishop (December 19).[/color]
Appartently this is legit. I have seen it in mainstream media, and now it is on the National Parks website:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/news/2023-12-21-atmp.htm

This may put some of the tour companies out of business, but I don't expect too many tears to be shed by affected Puna residents.
Interestingly, I heard two helicopters today, the first I've heard in a long time.
(12-25-2023, 05:07 AM)ChunksterK Wrote: Appartently this is legit.  I have seen it in mainstream media, and now it is on the National Parks website:

This may put some of the tour companies out of business, but I don't expect too many tears to be shed by affected Puna residents.

Helicopter tour companies have the ability to scale up and down quickly.  A lot of their business involves chasing cruise ship schedules which are often times seasonal. As with all supply / demand operations, I'm guessing that the price of a helicopter tour is about to go up.

I remember during the eruptions that "left the park" like 2014 and 2018 they implemented no-fly zones but I still remember a lot of helicopter traffic.  Did I imagine that or could they get close enough with the no-fly to tour anyway?

The frustrating thing is that with decades of complaints, they could have done this all along? What changed? Some park rulemaker buy a house under a fly zone?

No flights on Sundays.... the day there are traditionally no cruise ships in port.
(12-25-2023, 05:44 PM)terracore Wrote:
(12-25-2023, 05:07 AM)ChunksterK Wrote: Appartently this is legit.  I have seen it in mainstream media, and now it is on the National Parks website:

Helicopter tour companies have the ability to scale up and down quickly.  A lot of their business involves chasing cruise ship schedules which are often times seasonal. As with all supply / demand operations, I'm guessing that the price of a helicopter tour is about to go up.

I remember during the eruptions that "left the park" like 2014 and 2018 they implemented no-fly zones but I still remember a lot of helicopter traffic.  Did I imagine that or could they get close enough with the no-fly to tour anyway?

The frustrating thing is that with decades of complaints, they could have done this all along? What changed? Some park rulemaker buy a house under a fly zone?

No flights on Sundays.... the day there are traditionally no cruise ships in port.

Federal court ruling. https://fox59.com/news/national-world/ap...-rushmore/
Thanks for posting that. Ironically, the rule is intended to decrease the noise levels within the park. I think most of the BI complaints were unrelated to that, it was all the neighborhoods getting buzzed between the airport and the destination. I only get to the park every couple of years or so, I don't even recall hearing any helicopters up there, but I have one buzzing past our roof as I type this.