Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Ferry and Invasive Species
I would like to clarify my position in opposing the Super Ferry....I received the following email regarding the Super Ferry and its impact on Maui. I believe the negative impact would be greater on this island if we do not stand up to protect our resources on this island......

[red]THURSDAY, AUGUST 21, 2008
Superferry Task Force - Maui Being Plundered

Written by Irene Bowie to the Superferry Oversight Task Force
Executive Director/Maui Tomorrow Foundation, Inc.
Superferry Oversight Task Force meeting, Honolulu, August 20. 2008

Thank you for taking the time to hear my comments today. It has been very interesting to sit through this OTF session and the one thought that comes to mind as I listen to the information shared today is the travesty that ACT 2 is. Hawaii’s environmental law states that an environmental assessment be performed prior to operations and as we can see, if this law had been followed many of the issues you’re discussing today would ha ve been dealt with in advance.

Issues such as an undercarriage pressure-wash system, which now seems difficult, would have been required and some type of system would have been created.

Listening to Admiral Fargo state that night vision goggles, radar, and “bow-mounted cameras” are currently in the research and development stage is not acceptable. I stood before this Task Force in February of this year and told you that the technology was not adequate at this time yet HSF continued to state through last year’s whale season that those technologies would ensure safety for humpbacks during evening transits. Now, with two months before the first whales begin arriving in Hawaiian waters, Admiral Fargo says it will take more time… again, this is not acceptable in regards to an endangered and federally protected species. The only mitigation for this issue is reduced speeds, down to 10k, when traveling after dark.

And lastly, to hear DOCARE’s report on inspections and findings, I am discouraged by the number of natural resources being taken from Maui on a regular basis. To have over 400 lbs. of reef fish taken from Maui waters in a one month period is astounding; Maui fishermen are currently working to educate our community on the need to fish for invasive species rather than native species so that our reefs have a chance to become healthy again. Fish such as uhu are important not only for the health of the reef but also in the creation of sand for our disap pearing beaches. The people of Maui treasure our cultural and natural resources and greater effort must be made to stop this plunder. Forty nine pounds of opihi in one month and another 75 lbs. the following month; over 250 lbs. of limu in a month; how long will these natural resources remain for our community and what studies have been done to examine this situation?

Mr. Garibaldi made much of the customer survey taken this summer; I’m sure the people who are passengers are happy with HSF, that’s why they’re onboard. However, this does nothing to repair the divisiveness in our community over the arrival of HSF. Mr. Garibaldi and other HSF staff stated many times that outreach efforts would be made to the Maui community yet nothing has come of it and no efforts have been made.

Today I ask the OTF to please consider the following 5 items:
We request a report on the total cost to Hawaii taxpayers for:
Inspections/costs for Dept. of Ag and DOCARE staffing
DOT lawsuits and appeals
Oversight Task Force costs, i.e., inter-island transportation, etc.
Preparation for Environmental Impact Statement
Barges/tugs to assist HSF
Any other costs incurred

We ask that this information be put into a document that is released to the public.

We would like to know what plan is in place after December 2008 when the Oversight Task Force concludes. What is in place for inspections on the Big Island when service begins in 2009? Will DOCARE and Dept.=2 0of Ag be involved? We suggest a user fee be added to HSF ticket price to provide for needed DOCARE and Dept. of Ag staffing.

An update on Hawaii Superferry’s incidental take permit process and whale avoidance plan for Winter/08-09. Will the HSF’s “whale season” be abbreviated as it was last year or run concurrent with the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale Sanctuary’s accepted season?

We strongly request that DOCARE continue regular inspections at Kahului Harbor until December of 2008 rather than moving to random inspections with HSF staff taking over the process.

DOCARE’s regular reports are the only comprehensive assessment of items being transported by this new form of inter-island transportation. We need continued information to make educated decisions on procedures needed, not only for Maui, but also for the Big Island as the 2nd vessel comes on-line in 2009.

We ask for a more fair distribution of the remaining OTF meetings between Oahu and Maui as many members of the Maui community have comments but are unable to attend off-island meetings.

Thank you for your time today in allowing me to speak.[/red]

DOCARE is having a difficult time controlling the taking of the resources......The numbers of the confiscated items does not include those that they did not get. We need to malama o ke kai e malama aina.(care for the ocean and the land)

Kale Gumapac
Candidate
County Council District 5
Puna Makai
The testimony given by Irene Bowie to the Superferry Oversight Task Force as Executive Director of the Maui Tomorrow Foundation, Inc. to the Superferry Oversight Task Force meeting in Honolulu, August 20. 2008. This testimony clearly supports the position Kale Gumapac has taken regarding his opposition to the Superferry coming to the Big Island. We all must remember that the Hawaiian Islands are an isolated archipelago right in the middle of the largest ocean of this planet. In the traditional times, the inhabitants of these islands were aware about the limits of these resources and took measures by developing cultural practices to insure these resources assets were protected. A high percentage of the most recent modern island culture does not take the necessary precautions to protect and preserve these resources. If we want to be good caretakers of these very special islands, we must take steps right now to insure our future generations have access to these assets. The Superferry does not provide the necessary protection to protect both the land and water resources. Everyone living on this island must be aware this perilous invasive species of which there are many others candidates, to assist in this effort to protect the future of this island.
While saying SF is not good, I would like to see a real plan or idea about how to bring interisland travel to an affordable level. Be part of the solution, not just part of the problem.

What I want my candidate (whomever it is in any of the races) to tell me is how they will fix something, dont just tell me its broke. Duh, I know that already.

It was disturbing for me to read that the very first SF transit to Maui included individuals attempting to return with truck loads of rocks for Oahu landscaping projects.

I have had mixed feelings regarding the Super Ferry. It is very easy to appreciate the conveniences that makes it attractive. I toured on of the SF boats in Hilo a few years ago and they are impressive vessels.

But knowing that Oahu, which has effectively been stripped of many or most accessible natural resources, will have easy access for truckloads of material to be regularly and repeatedly removed from the Big Island causes me real concern. It is easy to envision driving the Saddle Road and noticing big holes and gaps in the old existing stone walls.

You are aware that copper is robbed nightly in Honolulu on the H1--- how long do you think our lighting will last with four patrol officers for areas the size of Oahu?

My family had some experience with this in Connecticut on our 300 acre farm. We would actually be working in the fields and notice a strange truck in the distance leaving our property. To busy to investigate immediately we would later find that our stone walls had been plundered. Walls built in the 1730's had random gaps were they were accessible to easy access. The phenomena we suffered from was New Yorkers who seems to feel entitled to whatever they could grab.

Do you think Oahu and Honolulu will treat us differently?

The Super Ferry needs much more attention to protections against pillaging the neighbor islands. Trusting employees who could easily be tempted by $50 to look the other way is not sufficient.

And this topic hasn't even gotten into invasive species yet - unless the invasives are thieves in pick up truck and flatbeds.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Aloha Mr.Kale Gumapac,

I do agree with much that you stand for and your passion for Hawaii. It is so good that you bring such strong values to the process of politics. However, I believe that your stand on the Hawaiian Super Ferry should be tempered. There are so many positives to the HSF that are not being discussed. It seems that only some negative are brought to the light of day. It is my belief that if a situation exist it can be examined and then resolved. We should not just “dump” a terrific alternative to transportation because of a few thief’s, poachers, and the “possible” transportation of invasive species.

Thieves : A simple law could be drafted to stop the taking of natural resources from island to island without a permit, by punishment of fine AND jail.

Poachers : This is already against the law. I believe that Opihi is already protected and unlawful to posses.

Invasive Species : Here is the big one.
Yes there is always the possibility of transporting I.S. from island to island. But, that already exist on every other form of transportation throughout the Hawaiian chain. Irena Bowie of the Maui Tomorrow Foundation is at least trying to come up with a remedy by asking for a undercarriage high pressure wash, understandable but to me unrealistic. If HSF is mandated to do this what about Matson, Young Brothers, and all other carriers? It’s just not the solution.

Bottom line on this issue for me is that I want very much to have the HSF coming to this island and if you are adamantly opposed to it my vote will have to go to someone else.

The Lack