Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Shipping UPS from Pahoa...
Does anyone know (sorry it's after hours) if the store that ships from Malama Marketplace area charges more than UPS...I think they do ship via UPS, but wondering if anyone knows if there's an extra charge for using that facility to ship?

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie,

They might have some kind of service charge and for sure would for wrapping etc. I cannot speak for the shop over there as we have never used them ... but please read on.

A good way to compare prices is to go to UPS.com and select "Shipping" ( from the top bar NOT the side as it does not allow you to get detailed info ) >>> Next select "Calculate time and Cost" ... Select the "Detailed time and cost" one and move on filling out your info and click "Next" >>> once you get there you will see three payment info choices and you can shop / compare what your package will cost using the three different methods. We use UPS every few days for our business but not enough to have justify the *pick up* thing so have an account. The best price will always be the "I will drop off my prepaid package" one ... O.K., This is the good part ... You print your own label ( does NOT have to be any special sticker / thermal thing ) just make sure the info, especially the tracking # is printed clearly and clear tape it to your box. At that point you may drop it off and ANY UPS location or official affilated location anytime w/ no charge or wait in line. If you can flag down a truck, they will take it too.

Other notes:

UPS "Ground is by far the least expensive ( neva' mine about USPS Parcel Post ) method to ship to the Mainland for larger boxes. USPS "Priority" usually less to ship to other parts of the state for larger boxes as they retained the 'old' specs that are no longer in use for the mainland deliveries. UPS only offers "overnight" inter island and cost more.

UPS "Ground" is generally 5 Business Days to the East Coast, 4 to Midwest and reliably only TWO to California.

If using UPS, better to double box or wrap things up more secure as they are a bit harder on things from our experience.

If shipping from Mainland to here UPS "Ground" cost much more than sending off so not good to assume what you send will cost the same to get back.

Good idea to do the homework on the computer first to 'shop' the USPS as some larger packages cost LESS to send "Express" instead of "Priority" .... forget about Parcel Post unless you have a few weeks to wonder whats happening.
Part two here is if you use "Express" and it does not make it there as guaranteed, you get a refund for the shipping cost.

Never had to check ( but going to after recent events ) but if you ship an internationl package "Priority" and it gets damaged the payment goes to the addressee while it goes to the sender if using "Express" ... Sheesh.

Hope above helps.
aloha,
pog

Thanks so much for your help. We did check the calculator and it was pretty good. We're actually shipping a Ukulele to my daughter's boyfriend. He was gonna stick it in his backpack when they left here and we were horrified at the thought! LOL

So - we have to "make" a box for it. The one it's in is just a cardboard box. The shape of it won't allow for a Priority Flat Rate.

Cracks me up that UPS does "ground" from Hawaii. Neva could figure that one. Mahalo!

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie,

I HAVE a box that was specifically made for shipping a Banjolele http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo_ukulele you can have if you want.. Its 6.75" on top 26.75" long and 15" on the bottom. 4" Deep
Just could not bear to throw it in the recycle.

Best bet for custom box is to get a bike box and cut / crease it.

aloha,
pog
Very nice offer on the box Pog! Tony is in the process of constructing one for the ukulele from cardboard box as you desribed. Punaweb people are the best (mostly - LOL)!!

Mahalo!

Carrie

Carrie Rojo