Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle road closed due to fire
Yep, 28 mile marker is what I've just heard and the fire is not contained.
Apparently the fire has jumped several fire breaks and the Saddle Road is closed again on both sides. I hope not too many of you are planning to commute over the Saddle in the morning.
Just got the latest news which isn't very helpful, but the fire seems to be in a remote spot with resulting communication problems.

"Saddle road is closed at both sides (Kona and Hilo). The Police and
Fire Department have been contacted but do not have any more information
as communications with the fire scene are limited."

Tom
For those interested, the latest I have is that the road remains closed to the public on both the Hilo and Kona side. The fire is about 10 miles west of Hale Pohaku and is currently 55% contained but is spreading upslope. Smoke was reported at the MK summit today and was visible in summit web cams. National Guard Blackhawks are planned to fight the fire tomorrow.

I've heard nothing about the possibility of reopening the road yet and assume it will remain closed tomorrow.

Apparently HELCO are concerned about the Kona side this evening when the loads increase as power is not being fed to that side over the Saddle as usual and crews are unable to repair the lines as they can't get access due to the fire.

Tom
The latest I've heard is that they are planning to reopen the Saddle Road on both sides tomorrow (Weds) at 5:30am. Of course things may change in the meantime.

Tom
Drove Saddle Road towards Kona this morning around 8:30am and return to Hilo around 5pm. Slight detour around Mauna Kea State Park to avoid the still burning fires. Detour is on the old road, and is actually quite a beautiful drive across the lava beds.

Helicopters with hanging water bags are being used to dump water on the fire...

From my casual observation, the fires didn't look any more under control this afternoon than this morning.

---
Life is the only thing worth living for...
---
Eh Ted, you SURE those were water bags not some kind of high tech olfactory fire locator/technology that the government is hiding from us ??? : ) : ) : )

Thanks for the report, makes me want to get up and drive the old road.

aloha,
pog
The KNHL news just reported they arrested someone for arson in this fire - Jeeze guy, get a life!!!!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/stor...S=13026483

. . . Tuesday, Big Island police arrested a 31-year-old Papaikou man for first degree arson. Christopher M. Pratt was discovered near the blaze when firefighters arrived, and was taken to the Hilo Medical Center for treatment. After he was released from the hospital, police took him into custody. Pratt was held overnight and then released pending further investigation.