Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anole lizards
I have had enough of the anole lizards leaving their calling cards all over my cabin in HPP. These reptile turds are all over the floor, walls, posts, exterior as well as interior of my house and often require some real scrubbing to get the black marks off. I could spend up to 30 minutes every couple of days just cleaning inside. I have had to let the outside go for now, but it looks like . . . . well, black texturing.
I would like to know how I can keep the lizards away. I don't know anything that repels them except catching them and heaving them as far as I can. I'm sure they find their way back and bring more friends with them. I would appreciate some workable solutions. ThanQ.
A cat ?
Do mongeese eat lizards? Cat is a good idea, but I have one and she just stares at the lizard pair that has set up residence in my house. She did however catch a mouse the other day in my house- which was a complete surprise to me.
Depends on the cat, the tortoiseshell is known for their hunting skills. Out of the cats I've owned, the torties catches anything that moves.
A hunting cat is good. Also, don't leave any food out. Food attracts bugs, which attract the lizards. If you can find their hiding spots and eliminate them, that might help. I have a gecko that lives in one of the window blinds. I don't mind it though. Besides it's fun to sometimes bring out the cat's lazer pointer and make it chase the red light around the wall. [Big Grin]
Hmmm, Bugs are nasty. I don't have that problem and I have lizards but I also have the gold dust geckos that like to chase the Anole... Maybe the geckos are cleaner (don't just crap anywhere)? Be careful what you wish for? If you kill the lizards you'll likely have a lot of bug problems and they can be just as messy. If you get a cat, my neighbors cat likes to chase and eat some of my lizards ... Problem with that is, I often find a half eaten lizard under the house (the hard way)... The smell of it...

Maybe try to get a gold dust gecko to chase off the Anole's? For some reason I don't find that much lizard crap with them. Also seal up your home so they can't come inside. If a lizard can get in than guarantee other bugs will get in as well.

Good Luck!
Chickens.
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to take the measures recommended by ericip. I would get a cat but since my cabin is mostly screens, I can't have a cat climbing up the screens. This has been a problem with visiting cats. I agree that it seems the gold dust gecko doesn't leave so much crap around; I may try to introduce them to my home. I can't seal up the cabin very easily, but I may try harder. I can't think of any way to discourage them.
Again, Mahalo
We had feral cats climbing our screens for a while. Every time we'd replace the screens, they'd get shredded almost immediately. Home Depot and Alumside sell a heavier grade screen designed for pet owners. We haven't had a shredding problem since we installed them.
For lanai applications, 20% shadecloth makes a much better "screen".