Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearing land
Hi All,

We're in the process of clearing a lot in Paradise Park, in preparation for building. We're debating on whether we should hand clear or to bulldoze. We initially did not even consider bulldozing as we want to use the lava in its natural form as part of the landscaping but were recently told that a bulldozer can be used to remove the trees and other plant material and still leave the lava intact.

Any recommendations on what we should use? Any ideas on the typical cost for work like this?

Also, any recommendations on professionals who do this type of work is greatly appreciated.

The lot contains several ironwood trees and is a half acre.

Thanks in advance.

Noel
I don't know if I'm much of help here because we bought a new house (Leilani Estates) and the lot was completely graded by bulldozer. I guess it is the easiest (and cheapest) way to create a level surface to build a house.
Personally I don’t think we could have hand cleared our lot; it would have been an almost impossible task. I already tried to remove some leftover tree roots and it is an ordeal.
Most of the trees we have are straggly young Ohia trees but I think if I had some mature trees I certainly would try to keep them.
You may want to post the same question on the Konaweb forum.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and congratulations on your home in Leilani. That is a great area. We're still evaluating options. We may use a combination of light bulldozing and hand clearing to ensure that we are able to maintain some of the lava for landscaping.

The parcel is covered with iron wood and vines so it looks like dozing will be needed to lift out the roots and all.

Thanks again.

Noel
Hand clearing is better but it takes a lot of time and labor. Bulldozing can ruin a lot without you even knowing it :/

Real education should educate us out of self into something far finer; into a selflessness which links us with all humanity.
Lady Nancy Astor

Real education should educate us out of self into something far finer; into a selflessness which links us with all humanity.
Lady Nancy Astor

We just bought 30 acres!! Wow... but... 25 or so of it is in four foot tall grass. It seems that it would be prudent to purchase a tractor and mower for use around the land. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any leads on a used tractor? We appreciate all your insight and ideas. Mahalo.

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
To my thinking, keeping the grass down on 25 acres would probably requires a tractor and mower (brush hog) - that's my justification for one anyway Smile)) Better than paying someone $40/hr. for rest of my life. Even though we also have cattle on our property, they are selective in what they eat. The last time I had an area cut, they seemed to like that area even moreso.
Keep tabs on the classified in Hilo Tribune, I've seen tractors listed from time to time. There are also several dealers on the east side. I'm pretty "ignorant"about tractors, but I did find an excellent website where you can ask and learn: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/
They have a very good search feature and tons of archived info, so it?s a good idea to search and read before asking.

As for bulldozer work, I can highly reccomend George Hirowatari - cell: 987-3497. Not sure what areas he works, but I think pretty much the east side.

David
Making progress in Ninole (not Puna, but still nice)

Ninole Resident
We researched tractors here on the big island and learned a few things. Firstly, there isn't much of a used/reconditioned tractor market. Once someone has a tractor it lasts a long time, they us it up and then part it out....

Buying new is expensive. John Deere and Kubota are good lines but we decided to go with New Holland. Essentially a Ford product, the Hilo side dealer is Bacon Universal on Railroad. Clayton there did a great job of sharing information and providing us with good set up and follow-up service. I can highly recommend them. Like some of you, I plan on being around a while and don't want to pay someone else $40 an hour to mow. Now we can do our own landscaping, gardening, mini-farming and even lay in a road. Learning the country life....

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
You may consider leaving the majority of your 30 acres to meadow, reclaiming it on an as needed basis. Save alot of time and fuel and plants and keep some beautul birds nearby.
Unless you are farming the full 30 asap. Just a thoughtSmile

Good thought! Actually, we are mowing the pastures as we make plans for them. so far we have an orchard in, a barn and greenhouse pasture and a third pasture for a homesight. Other than that, areas are left in their natural state. We will be clearing underbrush and dead stuff We are having awonderful time!! I love Hawaii!!!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Sounds like your living the dream. Good for you! Our family will be out there in June to do the same, living on some friends land north of Hilo for a while helping them set up there spot while we get a better idea for our own home.Good luck and Aloha.