Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauna Kea proposed public access plan
http://www.malamamaunakea.org/uploads/ab...ne2015.pdf

June 2015

UNIVERITY [sic] OF HAWAII

Suggested Rules Relating to Public and Commercial Activities Within the University’s Management Lands on Maunakea
Thanks for that. If it's accepted I do wonder how it'll be enforced. For example, who is going to check if people going up to play in the snow have braking mechanisms on their skis? On the other hand, enforcement of only using 4WD vehicles above Hale Pohaku sounds sensible and wouldn't be too hard to implement, although it will cost some money - where that comes from is another matter.
The possession of chain saws and machetes in your vehicle would be illegal. How many people around here carry these items in their vehicle all the time?
What a bunch of bull****! Complete failure. All the 'activists' have succeeded in doing is restricting access to the public. TMT rolls merrily along.
All the 'activists' have succeeded in doing is restricting access to the public.

The activists wanted less stuff on Mauna Kea. Guess they'll get some of what they asked for, plus more. It's going to include themselves.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yep, it is bull****, but you can thank the FEW protesters for this... Sadly, it's the few assholes that spoil it for the bunch .... But, I told you all it was gonna come down to this. Probably slow things down as you'll now have to go through some sort of check point. Don't go up in a van full of people.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

The possession of chain saws and machetes in your vehicle would be illegal. How many people around here carry these items in their vehicle all the time?

I actually keep my machete in my truck.I always know where it is and the wife doesn't lose it in the yard.
TomK - "Thanks for that. If it's accepted I do wonder how it'll be enforced. For example, who is going to check if people going up to play in the snow have braking mechanisms on their skis? On the other hand, enforcement of only using 4WD vehicles above Hale Pohaku sounds sensible and wouldn't be too hard to implement, although it will cost some money - where that comes from is another matter."

welcome. increasingly feels like a gigantic wall of bureaucratic red tape as one works their way through this document. i made it about halfway through before my eyes glossed over. i feel for anyone wishing to pursue a commercial permit under these proposed rules and regulations in their entirety.

i won't pretend to be knowledgeable of how all this would work out logistically and legally, i'm certainly not. guessing that it looks like money to implement all this is referred to on page 4, "Maunakea lands management special funds", directly under "Fees".

"(a) All money collected under the rules shall be deposited into the Maunakea lands management special fund."

"(b) The proceeds of the Maunakea lands management special fund shall be used as provided in HRS Chapter 304A."

§304A-2170 Mauna Kea lands management special fund - http://law.justia.com/codes/hawaii/2011/...304a-2170/

"(b) The proceeds of the special fund shall be used for:"

"(2) Enforcing administrative rules adopted relating to the Mauna Kea lands."

phew...and that about does it for me in the layman legalese research department!

all this makes me just want to go to the beach instead.