Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"free" video surveilance system, free phone number
If you have an old cell phone that is gathering dust, here is a way to get some more use out of it.

I downloaded an app called Warden Cam and installed it on the phone. The phone doesn't have any cell service but all it needs is access to wifi. The app detects motion and sends the video to my free google drive. I can also watch the cam (and listen) live from any other phone that is linked to my google account. I can switch from either the front or rear camera on the phone. My deluxe installation was duct taping the phone to the side of the house in a sheltered area with the cameras sticking out so I can watch both sides of the house using the two cameras. It has surprisingly decent night vision too. The motion detection works really well, it activates when a person comes in view but not if the wind blows the palm trees. It can also alert you when it detects motion and even email you a picture if you desire.

(This is not an endorsement of this specific app, there are dozens of apps that perform as security cameras, I tried 3 of them and this one was the best, and has no monthly fee like some of them do). http://www.wardencam360.com/

A striking limitation of this particular app is that it doesn't record any video on the phone. Ideally it would record video 24/7 onto the phone's SD card (overwriting oldest video with newest) and send the motion detection videos to the cloud.

Another use for an old cell phone is as a dash cam. There are apps for that too.

Lastly, Google will give you a free phone number and when you install Google Voice onto your cell phone you can make and receive calls using any wifi network (no cell connection required): https://voice.google.com/ I use it as a "throwaway" phone number like when some business requires my phone number for whatever reason I give them my google voice number. If somebody leaves a voice message Google transcribes it into text and emails it to you. You can also use it to send/receive text messages. I'm pretty sure google transcribes everything that goes through the phone number and uses it to sell your soul to advertisers, so think about that when you use it.
Warden cam is good. I've also tried Alfred,same stuff access anywhere.

I currently use a 4 channel zmodo system outside, and use a couple old cell phones to monitor the interior.