Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
the OTHER banh mi food truck, King's Vietnamese Cuisine
Stumbled across King's Vietnamese Cuisine food truck on Manono street today.

The Le Yellow Sub banh mi food truck has been closed the last several times I've tried to go so I'm glad to find a new way to get my fix.

Everything looked amazing and I wanted to try the entire menu.   They have banh mi, eggrolls, pho, dumplings, banh xio (Vietnamese pancake, looks kind of like a Vietnamese taco), some vermicelli plate I couldn't quite figure out what it was, rocket shrimp, spring rolls (summer rolls), and other things that I probably missed.  Most dishes were $8 or $12.

We tried the banh mi, dumplings, and egg rolls.  My mouth was watering as I smelled the food cooking.

All 3 the portions were HUGE.  The banh mi was the biggest one I've ever had.  We each got our own but next time will probably split one.  The meat was BBQ pork, the best way I can describe the flavor was like a Vietnamese pork take on Mongolian beef.  It wasn't what I expected but it worked.  It was really good. Huge helping of fresh pickled vegetables and just the right amount of heat.  The sandwich was stuffed full of meat and veggies and all the flavors blended into extreme deliciousness. The bread was perfect baguette Vietnamese fusion and even the few soggy bits were delicious. $8.

The eggrolls were good, and meaty.   A bit on the bland side on their own but just right with the included sauce.  Large amount of them.  7 or 8 full sized egg rolls for $8.  Most places you get two rolls cut in half for that price.

The dumplings didn't look anything like the picture and were truly steamed, not one side browned in the pan like I'm accustomed to.  The chicken filling had a paste consistency and was the same white color as the dumpling.  They didn't have any texture but the filling and the dipping sauce were both good.  12 dumplings for $8.

It's in the front yard of a residence between Kawili & Kilauea.  Signs are small and easy to miss. There is a driveway to get off the road, park, turn around etc.  They told me they are there Mon through Sat 9-5.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/king-s-vietnamese-cuisine-hilo

Will definitely go again. There is a table there but so close to busy road you will want to take and eat elsewhere. Like Le Yellow Sub food is made fresh and can take awhile.
Thanks for the post. I really like Le Yellow Sub but it's now so far out of the way and the last several times I went it was also closed too. UGH. I'm looking forward to trying King's!
I went back to King's to get a banh mi at noon on Friday and couldn't believe there was no line. This time the meat options were pork or chicken. I got the chicken and it was even better than the previous sandwich I got there. The flavors are more complex (in a good way) than Le Yellow sub and the bread is a higher quality. The location is weird to get in and out of being a residential driveway with no real parking lot, but worth it. $8 for the sandwich before tip but it's huge and a full meal.
(07-18-2021, 07:51 PM)terracore Wrote: I went back to King's to get a banh mi at noon on Friday and couldn't believe there was no line.  This time the meat options were pork or chicken.  I got the chicken and it was even better than the previous sandwich I got there.  The flavors are more complex (in a good way) than Le Yellow sub and the bread is a higher quality.  The location is weird to get in and out of being a residential driveway with no real parking lot, but worth it.  $8 for the sandwich before tip but it's huge and a full meal.

Out of curiosity I tried King's lunch wagon's pork Banh Mi.  It was as good as advertised.  The price went up a dollar to $9.
What kind of tip is suggested at a food truck?
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!