Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coco Cantina
Cocos had specials on Sunday. Their happy hour is probably the best deal. Their salsa tastes like it came out of a can (I'm guessing they use stewed tomatoes).

I do want to try Luquins again. I can't remember the last time I had a real margarita.
They have added many items to the menu since your last visit. If you like Chile Verde, it is very good.
I'm gonna be pissed if I give them another chance and it's still bland...

ETA: not "shoot up a four story building in HOVE" pissed, just very disappointed. Please don't call the cops on me again.
Bottom line is that we are lucky to have them both in Pahoa.  They each do a few things fairly well (graded on a Pahoa curve). There are not a lot of other places to go, gather, sit down inside, eat and imbibe so please keep trying. They both employ our friends and our friends children.

Get creative.  You can have almost anything you can imagineer at Coco Cantina.  Ask for your burrito, any kind, chimichanga style (fried on the outside).  It's one dollar more and well spent. Mucho better.  Not on the menu.
Mix it up.  Get shrimp in your quesadillas.  Take any combination of ingredients you see on the menu and ask them to do whatever you can come up with.  Too bland?  Tell them to make it hot or spicy.

@random they DO have the lunch specials also at Pahoa.

You can also get creative at Luquins. Yes it can taste like a Sysco truck got in a head on wreck in Mexico with a semi load of pace picante sauce. Tell them what you want.  Look deeper at the menu. It's slightly disorganized with breakfast items hiding deep in the menu. Go when Ferlin is bar-tending. He's been there since early days at the old location.  Design your own margarita.  Use the same credit card every time and get on the points program.  It's basically a Kaimaaina discount of 5% you can save up and use after a couple of visits to lower your bill.

Both places struggle just like we all do out here.  They have challenges that a Hilo eatery does not have.  Please cut them some slack and keep trying.  I'd like them to keep on being there when Lady Tang goes on strike. There are not a bunch of other options.  You are not limited to what is on the menu.  Try ask!  Feel free to color outside the lines!
Don't forget Pancho's Tacos is at the site of the old Luquin's on Tuesday and Wednesday. Their Chili Rellanos are great.
There are several other vendors there too.

Luquin's has all kinds of secret menu items. Blackened Ahi is a good one or you can just order Sashimi.
The prime rib is a Friday night special and they start serving it a 4:00pm.
During the week there are usually daily specials. They even have oxtail soup every so often. Not so many right now because Sal has been spending most of his time at the new place in Hilo.

The chicken rice soup comes in a huge bowl as does the shrimp cocktail which is a hot soup loaded with shrimp.

I hang out there during the day on Wednesday because Kenny the bartender that day is a lot of fun. There is an informal group of us that meet every week. Happy hour is 1 to 3. Beware we are quite loud and boisterous.

I usually leave with a couple of meals and I can usually get about 4 days out of them.

If you want your food spicy ask the waitress for Uncle Wayne's hot sauce. Beware some of his sauces are borderline lethal.
If you went to the old Luquin's you may remember Uncle Wayne, he used to bus tables.