Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad caretaker, advise welcomed
Yea, I wish I had seen that the first time.  LOL
Assuming your current "tenant" doesn't have a rental agreement - Get someone to lease your building as storage and get the rental agreement notorized, they are now the legal and authorized person for said occupancy, evict current occupier that has no rightful claims to occupancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAwbYNtF7g
(06-13-2024, 09:04 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 08:45 PM)MyManao Wrote: Any thoughts..

SWAT the place. Repeatedly.

I should clarify this...

When I first read the OP I assumed, right or wrong, that all the coddling in the world wouldn't do a thing except embroil dobanion in something that could only lead to grief. In other words waste time and lead to an uncomfortable situation. Maybe I am wrong? After all the other approach suggesting kindness and such may work. My problem is I have never seen it happen that way.

So, all told, I agree, give the guy a chance to do what's right. Tell him your life has changed and you want to make use of the place yourself, and be grateful when he agrees. Sheesh, maybe he's already come to the same conclusion in his own life and is, as we speak, planning on moving on himself.

One can hope, right?

Though I am more prone to assume he'll resist and have all sorts of excuses.. and if he does, I strongly recommend some version of a firm and persuasive action that gets the result you want in short order..

There is nothing for you to clarify. 

You are the textbook example of why the Native Hawaiians think all Haoles (especially mainland transplants) are fu$&ing assholes. 

Crawl back under your rock.
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
(06-13-2024, 11:28 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: You are the textbook example of why the Native Hawaiians think all Haoles (especially mainland transplants) are fu$&ing assholes.

That's it, Julie? That's the kind of thoughts that fill your head? Your mother must be ashamed. Seriously, get help.
(06-13-2024, 11:44 PM)MyManao Wrote: That's it, Julie? That's the kind of thoughts that fill your head? Your mother must be ashamed. Seriously, get help.

It’s the realization of why there is so much anger and hatred towards the white man when a person like you suggests that a person be SWATTED repeatedly to get him to leave a property. 

I wonder what the response would have been if some enterprising young scientist wannabe had SWATTED the “protectors” while protesting the TMT. Maybe have caused a few Hawaiian elders to have heart attacks and die, or worse yet, be the victim of some police sharpshooter who mistakenly thinks they are holding someone hostage. 

Come back with your normal attempts at trying to insult my parents (who are both dead) or my gender. 

It’s all you ever had and all you’ll ever have.
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
I am sorry Julie, no matter how hard you pine for that orange moron, he ain't gonna grab your's. Live with it.
(06-14-2024, 12:09 AM)MyManao Wrote: I am sorry Julie, no matter how hard you pine for that orange moron, he ain't gonna grab your's. Live with it.

This is why I quote certain posts in their entirety.

— Barack Obama
(06-13-2024, 08:16 PM)dobanion Wrote: So, to protect myself legally, I should make it 45 days notice to vacate and not 30? I can deal with that.

If he's agreeable to it, he can vacate the same day you show up.  The 45 day notice is the maximum amount the tenant has claim to under the rule of law, it's not a requirement he stay there.  A law which is pretty shaky that he has any claim to stay there at all, which you are allowing through your generosity.

If 30 days works for you, maybe it works for him too?

If not, after 45 days you have a squatter, not a tenant.

p.s.  Reminder:  I'm not a lawyer or an expert in these matters. I can recommend a real estate attorney I've used before if you need one, though I don't have any experience using her for tenant issues.
Dobanion,

You may want to try The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii for help. If you’re over 60, you qualify regardless of income level. If not there are some income limits for free aid, but it’s worth looking at for some advice. 

https://www.legalaidhawaii.org/

There is even a section entitled “Eviction Help”

Good luck!

— Barack Obama