Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads up: drought!
The data that I have read is that the windward sides of the islands have seen very little effect over the last century of data. Especially at elevation. Which is why, of course, I wasn't interested in any property below 2000 feet in elevation. The leeward sides report a very different scenario: 3 to 4 degrees f. rise in average daily temperatures over the past century. That is a LOT, even by scary global warming standard, and people will begin waking up at some point. Especially at the moment, with BIG SUGAR on its way back to the big island(you all ARE following this, aren't you?) rainfall and tampering with it is going to rain on some very big buck parades.

MOST of the rain the Kona side sees is secondary evaporative rainfall produced from trade winds rain, already having fallen on Puna and the rest of the windward coast.
Oh yes,

Mark is right about reforestation.

We're seeing these effects even in spite of the fact that lots of albezia etc, has been planted to reclaim other projects. I really do believe that the loss of any forest at this point, of any species, will be very destructive to the ecosystem as a whole. Research needs to be done, from a sensible holistic perspective, and pronto.