Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pastry Chef in Puna - Hilo/Pohoa
quote:
I agree with most on this thread, KTA/Safeway etc... YUCKO!
I would love to see a GOOD bakery open & I'd be there all the time. O'keefe's in Hilo is pretty good but they don't have much variety.

I have a baking question. Do you think anything needs to be altered regarding temps etc because of the humidity? On the last two visits I have tried to make whipped cream and could not get it to set right. I even borrowed a friend's Kitchen Aid and it wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Atlanta/Pahoa

Hi Punagirl,

I have never seen any recipe changes for Whipped Cream due to high or low humidity. Getting whip cream to set or whip correctly really requires cold bowls and utensils.
Next time try putting your bowl and whip in the freezer for 10 mins before whipping.
Let me know if that improves the consistancy for you.

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"
We went to Harringtons for dinner tonight, and was thinking about your post as I was having their Bread Pudding for dessert. It was bland and blah. The glaze/ syrup they put on top was supposedly Rum oriented, but tasted like watered down pancake syrup.

So you are needed. Everywhere.

quote:
Bagels with great schmere and a superb cup of coffee... I haven't had a good bagel since I left the Bay Area 6 years ago!

Good luck with your move and plans!

Jane

I thought they only made good bagels in New York City (Jewish delis).

In Pahoa near the shopping center is an internet cafe. They seem to do a brisk business there too. On top of it they serve pastries there. But to be honest their pastries taste like "dirt clods"& "paper weights" with powdered sugar and berry filled "dog turds", at best! But they are the only game in town! So perhaps you'd like to approach them and offer your serves?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Chris,

Well, I must say that I've never been to NY, but sure loved Noah's Bagels in the Bay Area. There was also a good bagel shop run by a NY guy on California Ave. in Palo Alto.

Jane

We normally get bagels from Noahs here in Willow Glen (San Jose.) Ed decided to make them from scratch this morning and they were wonderful.... not sure how New Yorkers would judge, but much better than Noah's. Mine was fresh onion as a topping, cream cheese and used a few slices of fresh tomato from our garden....yum..... lot's of work to make the fresh dough, boil and bake but the result was really great.

The Internet Cafe uses some kinda frozen really small bagel, but I will say that they have a spicy pesto cream cheese that is to die for...

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Edited by - carolann r on 09/09/2007 16:22:18
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
hey ed for what it is woth....
the natural food store in town, does custom cakes birthdays etc..cheesecakes, pies, haupia, and they offer organic, gluten-free, vegan, non-hydrogenated options. If you have a business in Pahoa you will realize quickly that you don't want people "hanging out", you need turnover! My advice is have a business that offers as many things you can imagine, you can't afford to limit yourself here.

quote:
the natural food store in town, does custom cakes birthdays etc..cheesecakes, pies, haupia, and they offer organic, gluten-free, vegan, non-hydrogenated options...

Some of their pastry stuff isnt bad but if I am going to have a pastry - I want a real good pastry full of sugar, butter and yummy filling that taste good not cardboard made to resemble a pastry.

You know I actually didnt like hummus for a long time because we had it from the Pahoa Natch . I had it at a now closed greek resturant once in Kona and it was wonderful. What can be unhealthy about garbonzo beans, olive oil, garlic and spices??? Why did they have to make it taste bad to make it healthy?