Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a climate controlled storage unit?
Does anyone on island have a recommendation for a climate controlled storage unit in Hilo? The few things I will bring over for our home, I'd like to store and keep in decent condition. We have thought about our own container but I worry about the moisture damage to the few old nice pieces of furniture we want to bring. Thank you all.

Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
A what? Climate controlled storage unit? In Hilo? Do they have such a thing?

How about storing the stuff in Kona or Kawaihae? It is dry over there and if it is storage stuff, you won't be getting into it very often.

If it is old furniture it might be put together with hide glue and that will fall to pieces in the high moisture we have over here. You can scrape all the hide glue off and reglue the pieces with wood glue if you like. I've done that with a few old treadle sewing machines. When regluing veneer, use something really flat to glue it back down with so the veneer doesn't pick up any odd dents. I used a bit of cardboard for a pad in case the glue squeezed out of the veneer once and had to reglue the whole thing when the veneer had cardboard corregations in it.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson