Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Naeole - Safarik Forum in Keaau
I attended the forum Sunday and really intended to merely listen. I was handed a number for position to ask a question and ultimately decided to pose both Gary and Emily with my feeling offended by things they had said to me in the past.

Perhaps some thought it too personal but the attitude of candidates toward their constituents speaks or spoke loudly to me.

At the end of a meeting in 2005 Gary had told me "You can waste your time on that stuff is you want to". Seeing how it was a community effort that statement offended me.

Recently Gary called me and we met on this and other subjects. He apologized. I have accepted Gary Safarik's apology and believe him to be sincere. He remembered the statements made at the time and I give him credit for stepping up and making amends.

Emily Naeole had explained to me when she took office in 2006 that she was in office to represent "her people" and if you weren't born here you didn't matter. I found that shocking at the time and hoped that she was just full of victory from her election and would grow into the job. She really hasn't.

While Emily likes to think of herself as the Ambassador of Aloha she has been quite clear to many people on many occasions that there are people who matter and people who don't. Her statements and actions have supported this attitude publicly in print and on council records.

I do appreciate that Emily will speak her mind. I don’t believe she lies when she says to someone “Who are you? Where did you blow in from?” What she says still matters and she needs to be reminded, daily perhaps, that she represents all of us.

I have been, and remain, very uncomfortable with a council representative who has such a weak grasp of what it means to be an elected representative.

The only saving grace I have seen from the District 5 office is Tiffany Hunt. Even Emily seems to understand that without Tiffany's effort District 5 would be adrift and sinking. The result is I believe that Tiffany is overworked and Emily is riding on Tiffany's coat tails.

My best hope in this election is that Gary Safarik is elected and then hires Tiffany Hunt as legislative assistant.

I endorse Gary Safarik for council and really hope he wins.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Very well stated Rob, I didn’t attend the debate Sunday and wish that I could have. Auntie E has made me feel the same way. After being here in Hawaii for forty years she kind of makes one feel as an outsider if you weren’t born here. With that being said I still like her but I don’t think that she is the right person for the job, but she sure is entertaining.

Mahalo,
The Lack
I just read over on Hunter Bishop's blog that Tiffany Edwards Hunt will not remain on board with Emily Naeole should she win re-election. Tiffany was one of the few remaining reasons quite a few people I know could give for voting for Ms. Naeole.

Rob's summary of the forum (which I really wish I could have attended) makes me more comfortable with my decision to support and vote for Gary Safarik. It is important that Mr. Safarik apologized for his previous disdainful attitude, and I have to believe that he will represent us better than Ms. Naeole has done. Without Tiffany, there is very little to provide a voice of reason for the Councilwoman.

Cheers,
Jerry