Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House sq. ft. restrictions in Nanawale
I was wondering if anyone Knows about this. I am in the process of buying a lot in Nanawale. The restrictions say that i have to build a house that has at least 880 sq. feet. Do they really check that? the house plans i am looking at are 864 sq. ft. and its all i can afford. Will this make any difference? or do they need to see the plans?

i don't know the answer, but just add on a small shed(attached)to the house. glad i don't live where they can tell you what you can't do, i hear leilani wants to know the size of your a** before you can move in there,lol! good luck.

Im sure you could bring your plans to the nanawale association and as long it is a thing of beauty they'll give ya the go ahead. You could also have plans for 880'+ and build smaller. In my experience with inspectors they dont tend to do calculations to determine living area as long every thing is to code and you treat him/her with respect. I plan on building down there soon and will probably run into a similar issue.

Thats BS! I get tired of all the rules set forth when you own a piece of land telling you what you can and cannot do! I would not live in a subdivision that makes rules like that.
I know even in Fern acres categorized as AGRICULTURAL lots you cnnot build another house on property even though you have a whole 2 ACRES! You would have to call it a caretakers cabin and provide proof that you are paying this person to caretake CROPS etc that you are growing and prove you are selling these crops. However folks in rural areas like these you can nd will do whatever you need to as nobody is going to come by and check it out unless you have a crappy neighbor. A neighbor who snotches!!!!

frank battaglia
A few years ago no one would have cared what you did in Nanawale. Now is a different story. A few years back most of the population was in the front of the subdivision and it was considered one of the roughest neighborhoods in Puna. With the recent property upswing it is suddenly stylish and a lot of folks in there are starting to "enforce" rules that most never cared about before. About 5 years ago we were really interested in Leilani. We made an offer on 3 side by sides and it wasn't accepted. We decided not to make a counter because we really were not that crazy about the rules in there. I do not want someone else deciding if my house lives up to their idea of attractive. But when you buy in a neighborhood with covenants you need to be prepared to live by them.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I hear you Punagirl! That was a big reason why we bought land in the Kurtistown area. No CC&R crap. Real Ag land with neighbors that are of like mind.

David D