Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hawaii Shipping Service Put on Indefinite Hold
From gcaptain.com:

TOTE’s Plan for New Hawaii Shipping Service Put on Indefinite Hold; Construction Suspended on Four Newbuilds at Philly Shipyard

U.S. shipping company TOTE is putting plans for a new Jones Act service between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii on hold due to complications in securing terminal space Honolulu.

As a result, TOTE says it will not move forward with its Letter of Intent with Philly Shipyard, which called for the construction of up to four containerships custom-built for the Hawaii trade.

In an emailed statement on Friday, TOTE said that its plans to enter the Hawaii service are on hold as a result of its Phase 1 technical review of Piers 1 and 2 in Honolulu Harbor.

“In September 2017, the Hawai’i Department of Transportation earmarked for TOTE access to Honolulu Piers 1 and 2 and exclusive use of the adjacent 45 acres beginning in 2020, to coincide with TOTE’s new service to Hawai’i. TOTE subsequently conducted a preliminary study of the site’s infrastructure which indicated that upgrades and improvements will be required to accommodate the new operations,” the statement said.

“Due to the scope and timing of the upgrades and improvements, TOTE will not renew the letter of intent (LOI) with Philly Shipyard that expires on January 31, 2018...”

The entire article can be read at:

http://gcaptain.com/totes-plan-for-new-h...t-on-hold/
Too bad those ships don't come to the big island first.
Textbook example of "artificial barriers to entry" -- this is Hawaii, no competition allowed.
this is Hawaii, no competition allowed

It's almost as if you have to first ask the legacy shippers for permission to compete with them. Or beg large landowners with the only corridor for future transportation routes to build a road. Or offer payoffs to organizations who claim they represent people who have been here longer than you so you're allowed to exist, even if you've lived here twice as long as many of the people they say they represent.

Percentage change in the level of glyphosate, an herbicide, in Americans’ urine since 1993 : +1,200. Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE @10:04:44 1/28/2018-
Exactly, couldn't agree more.
The anger and frustration level is very high for me.
It is my experience.
Thank you for stating it so bluntly and truthfully.