Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a new AC unit.
I was told that window/wall type AC units have a Slinger Fan that is suppose to Sling the Water from the the bottom of the pan onto the back coils of the AC to make it more effient (in low humid areas)...

Here in Hawaii with High Humid Weather, I guess that it's not necessary to have this feature. I've heard people say is what happens, is the slinger fan runs the water over the warm coils heating up the water and basically, makes it a breeding ground for mold growth, so you need to get that water out of the pan.

Is that correct? I bought an LG unit, and when I turn it on, it sounds like it's swishing water. But, I put in a drain plug, in the back, and it doesn't appear to be draining much water. Seems to me that the pan where the fan sits under is lower than the drain hole in the back and it's more like an overflow drain than a complete drain. So, I've heard of people saying Drill holes in the bottom of the pan under the fan.

Well, that's just great, but drilling holes, will just let the water run out on the deck. Don't really want that. Anyone know of someone that could professionally drill a hole(s) and insert some sort of plumbing so water won't leak all over (if that's what is needed?) I have fears of "MOLD" growing on a brand new AC unit, and don't want that. Also, there is a drain under the pan you can push up (spring loaded) I suppose I could drill through that, and attach some sort of funnel with tubing to run out onto the ground.

So my question is, do I drill a hole or not?

Thanks for reading. Smile
Considering how many such units are sold in the Gulf states, I doubt that the engineers who designed them overlooked the issue. I would not worry about it. There will be some days where it is warm and dry enough that you will benefit from the feature. The rest of the time it won't kill you.