Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Wave Radio Station in Hawaii - Budget Cut
The 2019 Federal budget proposed by you-know-who wants to cut funds for Hawaii's shortwave radio transmitter WWVH on Kauai. If you have an emergency radio or multi channel walkie talkie you can probably pick up their signal:

Radio amateurs, HF listeners, and others around the world routinely make use of the time and frequency standard signals, which also include propagation information.

“I’ve always considered WWV and WWVH to be the heartbeat of the shortwaves here in North America — a constant, timely companion and brilliant gauge of HF propagation,” Witherspoon wrote. I assumed both stations would be some of the last to go silent on the shortwaves.”

It's part of an overall attempt to cut back national standards and measurements by The National Institute of Standards and Technology. NIST also uses the information from Mauna Loa Observatory for other programs which the Trump Administration would like to see dismantled:

* $6.6 million in environmental measurements projects across NIST laboratories, including work measuring the impact of aerosols on pollution and climate change, and gas reference materials used by industry to reduce costs of complying with regulations

* $5.8 million eliminating the NIST Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Measurements program

http://www.arrl.org/news/nist-fy-2019-bu...v-and-wwvh

If you find these proposals more bad policy chasing after prior bad policy like an untrainable dog, please write your congresspeople.

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves