Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man running around island for Makahiki?
Celebrating Lono?
A 5 day run around the island, barefoot?

Just South of McDonalds in Hilo running south bound along Highway.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gall...4002-L.jpg
I saw him running down the highway near Shipman park yesterday afternoon. There were other runners and support cars. One had a sign that read, "Aloha Pule Aina".

I see this guy swimming at the Hilo pool almost daily, stays quite fit. Very curious about this run, too! And why the loin cloth?
If it is for Makahiki, he is a month off!
"December 9 - Makahiki

To mark the start of the Makahiki season: 1) wait for the star cluster of the Pleiades to rise at sunset, which occurs on November 18, 2) wait for the new moon that follows this sunset rising of the Pleiades, which occurs in 2018 on December 7, and 3) wait for the first visible crescent moon that follows this new moon. This year, this slender crescent should be visible in the west at dusk on December 9, thus marking the start of the Makahiki season."

from the Bishop Museum:
https://www.bishopmuseum.org/2018-astronomy-highlights/
Saw him and his group yesterday around Glenwood at dusk during the rain and mist. About 3 cars and 10 people spaced out in a quarter mile from each other.

Barely visible, some waving while running, others doing stretches just inches from the edge of the road with cars whizzing by. VERY foolish actions if you ask me. People coming home from work, weary, others slowing to gawk. I put in a short prayer for safety of these people for the actions they were taking seemed EXTREMELY irresponsible.
The runners are part of the Aha Pule ‘#256;ina Holo, a four-day, island-encircling relay run that lives up to its name of “a prayer moving throughout the land.”

https://keolamagazine.com/culture/prayer...-the-land/
Obie, the images & story from the Nov-Dec Keola magazine are obviously NOT written about the runner that is in question, as this magazine went to press a while ago....
I would question why a runner is running the Aha Pule `Aina one month PRIOR to the start of Makahiki, unless that runner mistook the rising of the Holulea star cluster (AKA Pleiades, Subaru, 7 Sisters)...
OR has the wrong month up on their calendar!
Yeah the article was a previous year. I actually saw it on Facebook and just googled the name.
I would question why a runner is running the Aha Pule `Aina one month PRIOR to the start of Makahiki, unless that runner mistook the rising of the Holulea star cluster (AKA Pleiades, Subaru, 7 Sisters)...
OR has the wrong month up on their calendar!

Question why? I'm guessing one might have some free time and likes the attention it brings? Also, the Hawaiians didn't have shoes like us but I doubt they ran barefoot on pavement around the island. Shinsplints hurt.
These runs take place to celebrate the coming of the holiday. As stated in the link. So yes, they take place before the arrival of the holiday.
quote:
Originally posted by Kiana

why the loin cloth?

It looks cool, provides some genital support and prevents being arrested for running nude.