Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surge Protector for Refrigerator
I'm in the process of replacing 8 surge protectors and other miscellaneous equipment thanks to the disintegration of  HELCO's aluminum anchor wire which supported the power line to my house.  The power lines yanked the exterior line* off my house and created a ground fault, wreaking havoc.  I thought about adding a surge protector for my fridge while replacing the others that were destroyed, but I've read both yes and no on the internet (see below):
Any suggestions?
---------------------------
Can you use a surge protector on a refrigerator?

We do not recommend connecting a refrigerator or freezer to a surge protector. The compressor is sensitive to temperature and current overloads, and will shut itself down with a surge. ... A surge protector will override this system, and if there is a power surge, your refrigerator may not restart.

* HELCO claims they are responsible only for the wire to the house, then the wire on the house is my responsibility until it reaches the meter which is their responsibility, and after that my responsibility again.
(09-08-2021, 02:01 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I'm in the process of replacing 8 surge protectors and other miscellaneous equipment thanks to the disintegration of  HELCO's aluminum anchor wire which supported the power line to my house.  The power lines yanked the exterior line* off my house and created a ground fault, wreaking havoc.  I thought about adding a surge protector for my fridge while replacing the others that were destroyed, but I've read both yes and no on the internet (see below):
Any suggestions?

We do not recommend connecting a refrigerator or freezer to a surge protector. The compressor is sensitive to temperature and current overloads, and will shut itself down with a surge. ... A surge protector will override this system, and if there is a power surge, your refrigerator may not restart.

* HELCO claims they are responsible only for the wire to the house, then the wire on the house is my responsibility until it reaches the meter which is their responsibility, and after that my responsibility again.

You can get a whole house surge protector from Home Depot for about $120.
(09-08-2021, 02:01 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I'm in the process of replacing 8 surge protectors and other miscellaneous equipment thanks to the disintegration of  HELCO's aluminum anchor wire which supported the power line to my house.  The power lines yanked the exterior line* off my house and created a ground fault, wreaking havoc.  I thought about adding a surge protector for my fridge while replacing the others that were destroyed, but I've read both yes and no on the internet (see below):
Any suggestions?

Did Helco repair it was that on you to fix?
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Any suggestions?

That makes no sense to me. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone who can actually answer the question.
I think the concern is simply that a surge protector may disconnect your fridge but not reconnect later, spoiling your food. You can get ones that automatically reconnect after a few minutes:

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Surge-...008OCHYO6/
Did Helco repair it was that on you to fix?

HELCO repaired their line to the house, but said I was responsible for the 25 foot run to the meter which cost $850.  I’m filing a claim with them for that repair as their line caused the damage to my line which needed replacement, plus the surge protectors and miscellaneous electronics.  

Most electronics survived, but it was odd.  For instance I had two printers plugged into the same surge protector, one works, one doesn’t.  They were different models though so probably one was more sensitive to the voltage fluctuations.

The refrigerator was connected without a surge protector but works fine.  A newer model with electronics too.

Wish me luck.
Best of luck.
Thanks, randomq - it makes more sense now.
I remember struggling with Hellco to get a fridge full of food paid for. I can't imagine them writing a real check.

Keep us posted HOTPE