Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel safer now
This has to be some kind of record:

First trip to safety inspection:  Closed that week.
Second trip:  Network down, closed for the day.
Third trip:  Failed inspection (window tint).
Fourth trip:  Closed during business hours, no explanation (somebody sick?)
Fifth trip:  Vehicle passed inspection but failed due to not having plates and registration.  (Kind of a chicken/egg thing, can't get registration without a safety, and can't get a safety without a registration).

With "failed" safety in hand I prepare to go to Pahoa DMV.... first appointment available is 2 weeks out.  So I wait 2 weeks... and then off to DMV to get plates and registration and... failed!  No documentation of the sedan's weight.  I've never heard of such a requirement and never had to produce one before. I briefly tried reasoning with them (Look up the VIN#.  The information contains the vehicle's weight.  That is how I was able to put the weight on the registration application).  Nope.  Manufacturer information attested to the DOT is irrelevant.  Ever so helpful, the lady at the DMV suggested I have the car "towed or trailered" to the weigh station of my choice so I don't get a ticket for driving without the plates and registration she was the gatekeeper to.  I don't know if the vein that popped in my head was visible or not, but it certainly felt like it.  

This is how I learned that for $15 Puna Rock's "weight master" can generate a piece of paper with the vehicle's weight on it the DMV will accept.  By some amazing coincidence, it was within a few pounds of what the information the VIN # decodes to!  

Second trip to DMV... Guy in front of me is also drowning in a pool of bureaucratic nightmares and loses his shit.  It was his third trip there, apparently each time he goes they come up some additional requirement they never told him about on previous trips.  I feel his pain, I really do, but no need to yell and carry on for 10 minutes, especially when it's holding the line up.  His rant eventually drifts away from his specific problem to the state of our government as a whole, says something about how he better leave before he becomes violent (Yes, please leave now) and he grabs his stuff and storms out.  Finally, my turn.  The lady who sent me to the weigh station looks at me, smiles, says somebody will be right with you, closes her window, grabs lunchbox, and leaves.  The timing was impeccable, like the bureaucracy wanted to give me one more middle finger.  After some additional waiting I eventually walk out of there with plates and registration.

Sixth trip to safety check... teeth practically grinding, afraid I'm going to lose it like the guy at the DMV if they are closed again.  They're open!  And the line is short! 

After investing about 5 hours into the bureaucracy (I'm not counting the time spent removing window tint) the car is finally street legal.

I feel bad for the guy who will be going back to the DMV for the 4th time because the lady told him to bring his dad in to sign an affidavit, but she never told him the documentation his dad has to bring.  So I'm pretty sure there is a 5th trip in his future.
Have you seen this terracore?

Kurtistown man gesturing he has gun at Hilo DMV charged with harassment

On April 6, shortly before 12:30 p.m., South Hilo Patrol Division officers were called to the Hilo Driver Licensing Station on the upper level of the Hilo Police Station*, for a report of an irate male who had just threatened personnel.

Doherty had reportedly become upset with one of the Vehicle Registration and Licensing Clerks that was assisting his girlfriend, before going to his vehicle and returning moments later, gesturing that he had a gun and making a statement insinuating that he had a gun.

https://bigislandnow.com/2023/04/10/kurt...arassment/

* can you think of a WORSE place in Hilo to provoke officers of the law?
(04-12-2023, 01:46 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Have you seen this terracore?

Kurtistown man gesturing he has gun at Hilo DMV charged with harassment

On April 6, shortly before 12:30 p.m., South Hilo Patrol Division officers were called to the Hilo Driver Licensing Station on the upper level of the Hilo Police Station*, for a report of an irate male who had just threatened personnel.

Doherty had reportedly become upset with one of the Vehicle Registration and Licensing Clerks that was assisting his girlfriend, before going to his vehicle and returning moments later, gesturing that he had a gun and making a statement insinuating that he had a gun.

https://bigislandnow.com/2023/04/10/kurt...arassment/

* can you think of a WORSE place in Hilo to provoke officers of the law?

It wasn't me, I swear!
(04-12-2023, 12:29 AM)terracore Wrote: This has to be some kind of record:

First trip to safety inspection:  Closed that week.
Second trip:  Network down, closed for the day.
Third trip:  Failed inspection (window tint).
Fourth trip:  Closed during business hours, no explanation (somebody sick?)
That sounds like the place along Highway 130 I've sworn to never visit again.
I recommend a place at the intersection of Kilauea Ave and Ponahawai St in Hilo. It's not open early in the morning, but the inspection is quick, as thorough as the laws allow, and no appointment is needed. I don't know if it has a name, but it seems to be a dedicated safety check place that's run by one friendly guy.
No documentation of the sedan's weight.  I've never heard of such a requirement

This usually only applies to freshly-imported vehicles; DMV wants you to produce the Matson's paperwork showing the weight, because you're the first person to ever register a Tacoma and they can't possibly know how much one is supposed to weigh. But at least it's a legitimate requirement, since that's how they calculate the taxes, and you're obviously trying to pull a fast one.

California DMV took this one step further: they once returned all my paperwork with new hand-drawn questions that needed to be filled out, helpfully highlighted so I would be sure to notice. They literally just made stuff up that had nothing to do with registration.
Funny, I have a sedan and SUV taxed nearly the same, so not sure why they are such sticklers about the weight.

Considering probabilities and such, I wonder if it works out cheaper to just ignore the DMV?
(04-12-2023, 03:19 PM)randomq Wrote: Funny, I have a sedan and SUV taxed nearly the same, so not sure why they are such sticklers about the weight.

Considering probabilities and such, I wonder if it works out cheaper to just ignore the DMV?
Ignore DMV, as in don't get registration and license plates?   You first!   

My old 4runner is taxed at 4,000 lbs. yet the specs according to Google say it's 3760.  I've thought about getting weighed at The Rock a few times though it hardly seems worth the trouble.
(04-12-2023, 03:58 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 03:19 PM)randomq Wrote: Funny, I have a sedan and SUV taxed nearly the same, so not sure why they are such sticklers about the weight.

Ignore DMV, as in don't get registration and license plates?   You first!   

My old 4runner is taxed at 4,000 lbs. yet the specs according to Google say it's 3760.  I've thought about getting weighed at The Rock a few times though it hardly seems worth the trouble.

Dealing with the Rock was a breeze.  In fact, the guy didn't even verify the vehicle being weighed was the same VIN# as the paperwork in front of him. I probably could have chosen my own weight class by driving any type of sedan onto the scale.

As far as getting the DMV to change the weight on your registration, probably not a breeze.