Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permafrost on Mauna Kea is disappearing
Back in St. Olaf when I was a little boy...
this island is 1/12th the age of a Megalodon SharkTooth,
the kine u can buy on eBay for $95...
iow the island is sinking fast.. ie the Hawaii island of Kure is the largest atoll on Earth and it used to be larger than the Big Island 33M yrs ago...
same with Maui Nui, it was larger than the Big Island too....
one (MAIN) reason why oceans rise in Hawaii is WE ARE SINKING FAST naturally...
aroha

fwiw Hawaiians loved to eat the 'elepaio...
yet they all still around, following you on your forest hikes w/o u knowing...
(05-26-2023, 10:59 PM)Olohana 1790 Wrote: this island is 1/12th the age of a Megalodon SharkTooth,
the kine u can buy on eBay for $95...
iow the island is sinking fast.. ie the Hawaii island of Kure is the largest atoll on Earth and it used to be larger than the Big Island 33M yrs ago...
same with Maui Nui, it was larger than the Big Island too....
one (MAIN) reason why oceans rise in Hawaii is WE ARE SINKING FAST naturally...
aroha

fwiw Hawaiians loved to eat the 'elepaio...
yet they all still around, following you on your forest hikes w/o u knowing...

Are you claiming that the Hawaiian islands' sinking is causing the oceans around the world to rise? As for people being stalked on hikes, perhaps you might take a moment to explain what you mean.
It means that the birds haven't been eaten to extinction and are following people who are on hikes. Where does stalking come in?
Certainty will be the death of us.
If the birds are following you on a hike then it's stalking. However, that's not what happens from what I know. They might take an interest in you if they feel you are a threat, but do they actually follow you all the way on a hike? That's something you need to demonstrate.

In the meantime, I've asked Olohana 1790 a question, and in the grand scheme of this thread, all I posted was the permafrost on Mauna Kea is disappearing at a faster rate than it once was. For whatever reason, some people, such as yourself, want to turn it into some other topic.
Dear Tom, we all know rock the sinking, grade school drill.
1790 is right.
cry and rant away
Following does not equal stalking Tom.
Right, so they follow you without you knowing.

From Oxford languages:

"stalk
verb
gerund or present participle: stalking

pursue or approach stealthily.
"a cat stalking a bird" "

So let's put this to rest. Birds following someone on a hike most likely means they are stalking you, especially if they don't stop. It's the true definition of the word. I've already asked if elepaios follow you all the way on a hike and no one has said they do, except Olohana 1790.

Frankly, I suspect as soon as some people see "stalking" in a sentence they lose all sense of reality and forget what the word actually means. Olohana describes birds following you on a hike, the same way predators do in other environments, and that's called stalking their prey. Think hard, is that what I'm accusing elepaios of doing?

Now, what this has to do with permafrost on Mauna Kea and its relationship with rapid climate change is beyond me. More bluntly, sea levels are changing much more rapidly than the Hawaiian islands are sinking. Those ocean levels are also rising all over the planet and that isn't caused by Hawaii sinking, a point I made earlier but was ignored. If you listen to one or two experts here, you'll learn that the islands are sinking while ocean levels are rising so they cancel each other out. Top-notch scientific analysis if you pardon the sarcasm. And then there are those that will pick out one word and get it all wrong.
When a boat is sinking, its common to say, the water is rising.
(05-30-2023, 02:37 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:When a boat is sinking, its common to say, the water is rising.

It's also very common to say "We're sinking". What's your point?