Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The County Council Show
.    With all the tedious therefore's, motions, and grandstanding, I generally find Hawaii County Council meetings a crashing bore.  But if you squint a little, they actually get quite entertaining.

Chairperson Heather Kimball leads the proceedings like a weary librarian who is trying not throw the rowdy kid out because -- who knows? -- he might grow up to be Bill Gates.  Waimea's Cindy Evans continually pontificates like a batty old neighbor who corners you in Malama Market to expound on her sister's bladder problems in explicit detail while blocking two aisles.

Matty K-K looks like the last person in the world you'd want to see barging into your barracks as the new drill sergeant.  Give Kona's Dr. Holeka Inaba a popgun and tweed hat and he'd be a dead ringer for Elmer Fudd.  And Ashley K has astonishing resemblance to Natasha on The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.  

Jenn Kagiwada could pass as the steely Prosecuting Attorney who proves she has a heart of gold when she gets a wrongly convicted serial killer off death row and saves her marriage, all in one episode.  While Rebecca Villegas shows up looking like your mother-in-law slouching on a Sunday after stepping on a frayed vacuum cleaner cord.  And Kau's Michelle Galimba can't help but remind you of your favorite high school substitute teacher.

I'm sure Sue Lee Loy already feels like she's unwillingly on The Maury Povich Show, so I can only empathize with her.

Among those regularly called to testify, I always find the unflappable Housing Administrator Susan Kunz absolutely adorable in a Renee Zellweger kind of way, even when she is talking about how to assist the homeless.  And is it true that Disaster Recovery Officer Douglas Le is actually the only Roswell UFO crash survivor?  Does Planning Director Zee bring Goofy to mind?  Couldn't Mayor Roth play Mr. Magoo in the upcoming movie?

And who's that creepy, bearded guy in a gray business suit lurking around behind the council members like a mafia enforcer?  Does the Miske Enterprise extend all the way to our County government?

It's amazing how fun civics can be with just a little imagination!

Shazam and Cowabunga!
Aside from what everybody looks like, do you have any comments on their stands on the issues that come before the council?
Certainty will be the death of us.
While I assume that this post was intended to be tongue and cheek, it does show that democracy is never a spectator sport in any sense of the word. 

Elections matter. 

I’d love to read your County Council Show write up if we had someone like BJ Penn as a member. And/or Dr Cunningham as the Mayor. 

I’m sure it would be funny as hell, but the reality of that would be entirely detrimental to the Big Island. 

Elections matter.
Good show Sam Son!
We reap what our education system is sowing. Must be why we have to pay for so many studies.