Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSL in Hawaiian Shores Rec
Hi there,

Does anyone here on Punaweb that lives out in Hawaiian Shores Rec have DSL through Hawaiian Telcom? I just bought a house there and now they tell me it isn't available in that area. (Despite having been told the opposite, several months ago; I even talked to one of the local installers and he told me they had DSL out there).

I have ordered internet through Oceanic but since I worked from home for a mainland company I wanted have DSL as a backup (my company pays for it) as it cost me $$ when my line is down.

Our new house is over on Manini Street if that helps. It just seems odd that all of sudden they say its not available in that area.

Any input would be much appreciated

Michael
Its available, my neighbors have it. They may have run out of switches on their end to host your line. This had been an issue for many around puna. Time warner has been pretty reliable the last few years in hawaiian shores.
The usual points:

1. DSL is available where "in range" and "ports exist"; you may be "close enough", but Telcom isn't bothering to add any capacity.

2. If it's mission-critical employment-related, and especially if "they're paying for it", order a T1 and be done with it -- expensive, but no caps/throttling, and you really do get "five nines" uptime.

The sad state of wired internet is due to the regulatory restrictions thereof; carriers all want everyone to go wireless, because they can charge more for the same services.

Irony: Telcom claims they're "losing money" due to wireless -- while also not bothering to sell the broadband services that people actually need.
Thanks for the info. Kalakoa, who would I be able to get a T1 line from out here? Would that still be Hawaiian Telcom? And that makes about the "in range" and "ports available", well doesn't really MAKE sense but at least I understand what I am up against. I wonder if it would help to talk to one of the local installers and see if he can hook me up? Can't hurt I guess.
Regular "G.lite" DSL has a range of 17500 feet (as the wire runs) to the concentrator -- but if there's no free ports, it doesn't matter how close you are. There is (supposedly) no waitlist, you just keep calling until it's your lucky day. It's very telling that (some) local real estate agents have mastered the process for keeping a DSL line installed through an ownership change; apparently some buyers actually write the broadband as a requirement in the offer, because it's that difficult to get. (Modern variation on the old "you can remodel the kitchen, but you can't add a view.")

T1 last-mile will be Telcom, but the "other end" can be connected to whoever provides the internet service (which Telcom also offers, but it's not automatically "bundled" as with DSL). Call the business office, I think they use the words "dedicated high-speed" or possibly "hicap". There are no distance limits, nor port shortages. Side effects of "expensive" include "must install anywhere in the service area" and "must repair within 2 hours". As with all "phone lines", the circuit is exempt per NEC 70; permits/licenses not required.