Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes you want to volunteer at....
your favorite local charity....can you tell us what in this pet/community/religion or other volunteer organization make you want to give some of your time and effort.

Those of us with some free time might want to explore which organizations to help out with your input to need, spirt and support for this worthwhile endeavor.

noel

I volunteer with Hilo Bay Watershed Adviory Group (on the Steering committee last year, did some educational grant writing & have been clean-up coordinator for 3 years)becuase I love the bay...& want to be a part of the what should be done with it.
Jim & I are on the sweet potato clean up crew for the Food Basket i.e. Food Bank(help out gleaning potatos on a friends farm) - if anyone wants to help....there are still close to a ton on the field & the Food Basket could use some more.
Also have done a little bit with the Christmas Wish program (was Tutu Science for their summer camp program) just 'cause it's a warm fuzzy thing to help out needy kids. (I read that after posting....corny...but it really was cool when some of the kids finally got that science is really fun, and it doesn't always hafta be you do this, now this and you should see this, and we'll have a test on this.... sometimes it can just be exploration!

Edited by - carey on 09/30/2007 16:20:36
Helping children who will need the ability to read, bringing that enjoyment of reading into their world, so it isn't all about hitting the books.

Old people who need a helping hand, a neighbor looking for a helping hand to help get them over the hump of a project, participating with high school kids doing fund raisers.

Feral cats who need attention as their life isn't the cake walk people think when they dump their pets.

Community projects, cleanup, plantings, education.

Making someones day in any small way that presents it's self.

Perhaps getting involved in local politics, support candidates whose vision I understand and want to help encourage, this may be a stretch for me though! LOL

And for me personally, personal growth, getting involved with astronomy.

Hi Noel!!!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Domestic Violence Prevention Advocacy groups, Health, and Animals (specifically cats!)

I worked with Keiko Bonk's campaign for mayor a few years ago although usually dont get involved much except for Bob Jacobsen fundraisers.

Edited by - kapohocat on 09/30/2007 14:55:04