Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm assuming it's only a test...
Sirens going off right now.....

Ocean has been a bit loud, lately[Big Grin]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I heard it too. Not wet, so I guess, we're OK. I HATE tests of audible alarms of any sort. It just trains people to ignore them.
First Monday of the month
Missed Opihikao and her monthly reminder...
Yes, where's ophikao with her timely reminders for these siren tests? It saves a lot of us from running for the tsunami evacuation line, or scooting under our desks to duck & cover. It wasn't that difficult back in 1964, but these days...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Didn't hear it the past two times. Heard this one. Just two days, aloha schedule, brah.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Test sirens go off the first WORKDAY of the month...11:45am (this could be any of the 5 business days...but always the first one...)

Since you posted at 11:47am, I'm gonna guess that is was the test siren...

If you here one at any other time...check in with CD or tune in your emergency radio, phone app, or whateva you use to check if there is an emergency....

& remember: these sirens are not just for tsunami, so check...
Got this over the Emergency Alert Encoder/Decoder, just to confirm your thoughts that it was a test:

"The Civil Authorities have issued a Required Monthly Test for all of Hawaii beginning at 11:14 am and ending at 11:44 am (KQHWKHQQ). This is a coordinated test of the Emergency Alert System for broadcast stations in Hawaii. As a reminder, the regular monthly test of the Civil Defense Broadcast System and Siren Warning System will be conducted at 11:45 a.m. This concludes the test of the Emergency Alert System"

We're trained to assume an audible alarm on the first workday of the month is a drill. The 1964 tsunami was the first workday of the month I believe.

EDIT: I was wrong, but the 1946 tsunami fit that description.
Short Lilo and Stich video about tourists and sirens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPoeIQaOiQ