Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about DIY solar wiring off grid in Hawaii
Impressive; you've basically re-invented the Outback FlexPower system. The FP1 runs about $3500, how much did you save rolling your own?
I paid $360 for the inverter and $60 for the voltage detecting transfer switch (I got 50% off by pestering the sales people while it was in pre-release). The xantrex switch ($62.00, the one on a timer) isn't really necessary as I could just let the dropping battery voltage control when the grid power gets turned on, and I save more money when I use it that way, however I believe that would shorten battery life, and they are the most expensive component in the system. I think any money saved by squeezing more juice out of the batteries every day would be lost later on by replacing the batteries sooner. Plus, I like to have some power left in the batteries in case the power goes out. My system is more about using the solar power as it's generated, not necessarily storing it for later. Though I could certainly do that if something caused that to be necessary or more economical. As luck would have it, the house we bought came with a separate 20amp panel on the outside of the house. So I can route the solar power through the main panel via the generator inlet, and still have access to a 20 amp grid power outlet for the catchment pump (which the samlex inverter cannot start) and a battery charger should I ever choose to go that route.