Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queens Surgery, Honolulu tips??
Husband having heart surgery soon at Queens on Oahu. We will be there 8-9 days. Staying at the downtown Aston so I can walk to Queens once he's admitted, by myself then for about five days, in and out for visits.

It's been forever since we've spent time in Honolulu, so wondering what tips there might be for places to eat, swim, safety, etc. We'll use Uber so can go beyond that downtown area if we wish to. I think Chinatown isn't too far.  I won't be walking after dark by myself, typical awareness out there. Will likely have to check out Ala Moana, the palace, etc.

Thanks Punawebbers who know Honolulu better than us. I'm sure I will be kissing the lava we walk on once we get back home after so much time in the big city!
If you mean the Aston at the Executive Centre, every room has a kitchen so you can do meals in if you want. There is Long's right next to it with a decent grocery section and there is a Walmart less than a block away.

There is a good Indian restaurant about a block from the hotel and if it looks familiar its because it's operated by the same folks who run the ones in Kona and Hilo. There is also a Greek restaurant on the same road but I've never eaten there. Last time I was there I ate at the state's only Ethiopian restaurant, Ethiopian Love. Definitely not the best Ethiopian food I've ever had but undoubtedly the best in the state! It was really expensive especially considering they provide a comically small amount of injera with the meal requiring you to order more and it's unrealistically expensive, but its the only way to get Ethiopian food here without making it yourself. I would definitely call ahead and make sure they are open first because they have weird hours that seem to change. Also my daughter tried ordering take out there once and they said they were only making vegetarian meals that day and she wanted some dora wat. You could walk there from the Aston but you might want to Uber it, there were a lot of homeless people strung out and/or passed out on the sidewalks. There's a lot of interesting restaurants in the area and I haven't tried most of them. There was a REALLY good hole in the wall Mexican restaurant- sorry but I don't remember the name. I hope its still there it was run by a nice Mexican family.

Need to add, there are all kinds of food delivery services in HNL like grubhub, door dash, etc etc. So you're not limited to getting food from nearby you are staying. There is Mediterranean place called Maria's inside of Moanalua 99 Ranch food Court I like. I don't remember exactly where it was, closer to the airport I think. You can even get bland Asian food if you want.
Mahalo Terracore. It would be a real treat to try new restaurants, a bit tired lately of our choices here. Yes, that's the Ashton and I will plan on doing the groceries/cooking thing. A few meals out would be nice, especially before the surgery as some tests require us to be there a couple days early. Thanks, too, for the reminder about the food delivery services. There are some nice things about the city, for sure!
Unfortunately Gordon Biersch closed just over a year ago. Fortunately I got to eat there a few times before they left after 26 years.
Update: daughter (she lives in HNL) says that the Ethiopian place is closed permanently, and she thinks the Mexican place is called Maria Bonita.
You are 2-3 blocks from Chinatown. Chinatown is a bit of a Ghost town at night, Bethel Street near Fort Street area is the busiest area. A lot of homeless, druggies, etc at night. As mentioned, Walmart, Longs, Safeway nearby.

Maria Bonita is correct, excellent Mexican food. Liliha Bakery Nimitz location, Nico's Fishmarket Pier 38. Chinatown/Downtown Pig and the Lady, Opal Thai, Olay's Thai, Murphys Irish Pub Cafe, J. Dolans Irish Pub Cafe (my preference, excellent pizza). Kakaako - Up Roll Cafe, Highway Inn (Hawaiian).

Closest beach is Ala Moana, and the Shopping center is there also. If you have not seen Ala Moana Shopping center in the last 5 years, it is a monster. A lot of things in Waikiki, but I generally stay out of Waikiki. Not my thing.

I always feel a sense of ease when I land in Hilo. Hope all goes well health-wise. Any additional questions let me know.
Mahalo Terracore and SSGSurf. Wonderful tips. Just got back from an overnight Kona trip, so am catching up on things. So happy to have this info and local knowledge. And, thank you for the good wishes, too. Appreciate it all.