Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauna Loa erupting
If you plan to sell a photo of the Mauna Loa eruption, don't forget the permit.  From the appropriate agency. I'm not kidding.

“It depends. If you’re on state land or county land, it matters. If you’re on Saddle Road, [which is operated by the state] or if you’re at Pohakuloa, that’s federal land. If you’re on the county side, if you’re in the National Park, that’s also federal, so you have to think about where you’re going to be,” Brotman said.
“It’s the law,” she added. “There are penalties if you don’t.”

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/mauna-l...mit-first/

I wonder if there are exemptions for cultural and religious photos used for commercial purposes? 
I don't know if this is relevant to this discussion, but if one posts drone footage on a site like youtube for free, and it eventually becomes so popular that youtube monetizes it, the FAA considers this "commercial use".

So if the drone operator (including "toy" drones) was flying "recreationally", meaning that they do not have an FAA pilot's license that has a rating for small unmanned aerial systems up to 55 pounds, they are in violation of the regulations and can get a substantial fine- regardless of the weight of the drone and regardless of where one was flying it (even over your own property) if any image or video (and/or probably telemetry) from the "aircraft" gets monetized or is otherwise used commercially in any way.
I kind of wonder if it's not the hydraulic system but the relationship between the land forms themselves 

Following up on that thought.. here is one of the most beautiful images, imo, of the latest eruption..

From.. https://twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status...12/photo/1
[Image: FjFnU9EVIAEXYMn?format=jpg&name=small]

This is an interferogram of the Mauna Loa summit and upper flanks showing deformation changes from before the eruption began through the morning of December 2. In other words not the entire amount of change, but still considering that the change was greatest at the beginning of the event this is indicative of the overall story told by the ground motion.. and shows the volcano losing over 50cm (20 inches) of height from the edifice overall as the upper Northeast and the Southwest Rifts are lifted and spread..

To think that Kilauea 'feels' these changes, and acts, responds, sympathetically makes a bunch of sense to me.. after all, they're alive.

This stuff gives me chicken skin.. especially when I think back to the earlier rod and level we used to measure deformation before digital and satellite technology was developed..
Volcanoes aren't alive, they are either active or not. They are made of rock. Rocks aren't alive.