Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer sues lady after they accidentally built on her lot, someone pooped on floor
donate the house to Habitat for Humanity or something

Something.
Something…
Punaweb Bar, Grill, and Nonprofit Soup Kitchen?
I like the addition of the Non Profit Soup Kitchen idea!

We can serve (very) bland and hot Asian soups, but I don’t think we can serve the warm Bud Light for free!

What night do we host the cockfighting?

At any event, the real issue comes down to, from the original news story:

It all started in 2018, when Annaleine “Anne” Reynolds thought she’d found the perfect, serene parcel in Paradise Park to host her meditative healing women’s retreats. “There’s a sacredness to it and the one that I chose to buy had all the right qualities,” she said. The price was also right — available in a county tax auction for about $22,500.”

When “sacredness” is in the realm, “reasonable” becomes impossible. 
Aye, there's the rub...*that* was the lot she wanted, the "vibe" was right, the stars aligned just so...she had a dream, a vision of what she wanted to do on *that* property...I say good on her for sticking to her guns on this.

Sure, that sounds super woo-woo, but seriously, it comes down to: they destroyed her dream (lot), and now, she gets to destroy them.

Would be nice if the materials could not be utterly ruined and then donated and/or reused as much as possible. That is the real downside; the production of more construction "trash".

As the old nursery rhyme ends, all for want of a horseshoe nail (aka: survey).
I think it'd be reasonable for the developer to buy her a new lot, and the profit from the sale minus the new lot cost. She'd probably come out with an equally nice lot and $100k+ to develop it as she pleases.
The house is built on a tax auction property, meaning it probably can't get title insurance. No title insurance means no mortgage. That would put a lot of downward pressure on the price because they're looking for an all-cash buyer willing to accept the risk and knowing it will be years before they can qualify for title insurance. The ground is sour, and not just because somebody crapped on the floor.
Based on your car weighing experience TC, it is reasonable to wager that the house is unpermitted as well.  That may be relatively minor to ameliorate.  

"County Planning Director Steven Pause testified that the home had the proper building permits, but they were issued for the adjacent property owned by KDP, not Reynolds’ land."

Nothing kills the Woo-woo like a cookie cutter house full of inebriated Punawebbers.  I don't think designation as the future home of PWB&G will be a part of any future ruling.
""County Planning Director Steven Pause testified that the home had the proper building permits, but they were issued for the adjacent property owned by KDP, not Reynolds’ land."

Which kind of begs the question as to the County's possible partial liability here.

Even though the County issued the proper permits for the house to be built on lot "A", it was built on lot "B" by accident (the lot next to the correct lot)

However, the County performed numerous inspections as the house was constructed. How did the County inspector(s) not realize the lot screw up in the first place?

Nothing kills the Woo-woo like a cookie cutter house full of inebriated Punawebbers.  I don't think designation as the future home of PWB&G will be a part of any future ruling.

Well then too, there would be that nagging urinal issue.

Oh Well!
"Nothing kills the Woo-woo like a cookie cutter house full of inebriated Punawebbers"

In the old daze, some Punawebbers actually met in person. On purpose. There was the annual cookie exchange at the Christmas parade, and before that there were others that pre-date me. Sometimes there were adult beverages involved, but everyone was Fonzie.

The first time we went to the parade, we were still living in Alaska most of the time. I misunderstood "cookie exchange" and brought reindeer sausage. In Alaska it's called caribou at least 9 months out of the year, but everybody up there loves Christmas so the reindeer moniker is used around Christmas. You know, because of Rudolph. But I digress.

Anyways, the PWB&G will have a bouncer named Rob. There won't be any problems.