Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shores House Dist. 4 Forum
Sounds good, Damon
I plan to vote for Anthony Marzi in the Democratic Primary. If he or Steve Sparks gets the nomination, I will vote Democratic in the General Election. If Fay Hanohano is renominated, I will vote for Fred Blas, making it one of those rare occasions that I go Republican. I saw Ms. Hanohano at the Kalani forum and think she is an honorable and nice person. She does not, however seem well suited to the job, and her accomplishments in her first term are minimal. We need someone who can swim in a tank of sharks and hold their own.

Cheers,
Jerry
Aloha Ricky,

There was another person video taping last night? HSCA office will have a copy of the one done by Hawaiian Shores on Tuesday, Sept 2. I hope you will be able to get yours submitted to public access or Big Island TV and let us know here when it is due to air. We would be glad to promote that within the community. Our marquee is seen by folks who live on both sides of Kahakai and would be of interest to all.

By the way, thanks to all for the kind words about the event last night. I think our moderator did a great job; the candidates were all most sincere and the audience was delightful, each and every one. It was a memorable evening. The schmooze session was just as delightful.

Rob, thank you ever so much for giving the event kudos. It means a lot that folks from Puna were able to come and enjoy. We were tickled to be able to provide it.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. --Albert Einstein
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Ricky,

I meant no offence to any candidate, nor do I plan any strategies for any of them. I only stated the obvious. If you think that politics is pure as the driven snow you have some how lived very sheltered. I have not indorsed any state rep yet and have only stated who I will not vote for in the general election. If you feel anger about my statements please address them towards me because I’m the only one that is accountable for what I say. Please don’t torpedo any candidate for my remarks.

With total respect,
The Lack
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

looks like Mr. Blas was nodding off into his chair

Ouch!
Someone up the thread said Fred got started 4am.
Fred's not my candidate -- yet, anyway Wink -- nevertheless, I do like best to go daylight til dark, and sleep at night; so I do have empathy and sympathy.

How about an early morning talk story? 6am-7:30am.
Coffee and tea issues round table.
We'll see who's up and cracking at that time of the day. I will be.
Smile

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Great Forum the other night. Kudos to Hawaiian Shores for hosting. And kudos to the candidates for showing up.

Ms. Hannohano was definitely not a leader in this discussion. Her responses were dry and lacking enthusiasm. She did appear to care about Puna and its people, but I am concerned that manner has not played well at the state level.

Ms. Blas is a firecracker. I agreed with Mr. Sparks that Mr. Blas should have run for County Council. He has done alot for his community, but is it what his community has wanted or what he wanted? He is really good at getting individuals and businesses to put their money out there on projects, but where is the government funds? Why is he still mowing Kahakai Park (it is a County Park)?

Mr. Sparks did very well, despite the error on taxes. He totally lost me with the question about what is the most important issue facing the State of Hawaii and he answered - ICE! His solution being to search every container coming into Hawaii ports. Not that I don't agree that illicit drugs are an issue, but if we got rid of all illicit drugs in Hawaii we would still have the economy to deal with (minus the drug money)! His answer struck me as pat and not thought out well.

Mr. Marzi was very well received. He was right on the mark on many of his answers. His point that we are exporting our best and brightest because they cannot afford to start out here was spot on! If we are ever going to have a homegrown future, we must retain a much larger portion of bright new thinkers. That is how we will move away from the "Good Ole Boy" profile that is so ensconced here in Hawaii.

With all that being said, I will vote for my future now!