Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makuu Market highway improvements
Originally posted by Kahunascott:
"I will not charge you for the class, Highway Construction for Dummies."
"That is if you want someone that can’t even put down temp striping in a straight line. Or, maybe Menehune can input good information."

Sorry you are upset - not my intention AT ALL!

It was meant to be humorous and not an attack on your supervisory skills. [8)]

I'll re-read "Forum Internet Skills for Dummies"!

Mele Kalikimaka!
First, thanks for informing about the project so misconceptions can be corrected before they turn into truths because they were repeated so many times.[Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Kahunascott

That is if you want someone that can’t even put down temp striping in a straight line.

Was this using permanent durable paint for the stripes or temporary paint or tape pavement markings? I've seen the temporary markings get distorted just through routine traffic flow over construction areas. Disregard already answered. Worst was when traveling through Nevada and some temporary cross walks looked like a slalom course from the heat and tire pull.[Smile]
I HATE the rumble strips. They're rough when riding a moped. And the construction signs that force me out on the main roadway. When there's room, I wish they'd place them further to the right/

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lokahi

Agree - nice quick and fast job done. Just curious why the "sleep ruts" or grooves of former roadway were left in the now current lane of traffic? Sure makes for interesting travel...smooth nice new pavement and then bam! Ruts in the middle of the road. Guess they are still serving their original intended purporse.

All existing rumble strips were milled out and paved over, trust me they are gone. You are confusing the striping eradication with rumble strips. In order to restripe the road a small grinder is used and it only takes off the old stripe and a small amount of the existing asphalt. The DOT requires this method of removal. If the old rumble strips were left in place you would know about it.

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin

KS,

All I can say is that a construction project that came in under budget had too large of a budget...

Just joking, congrats on doing what 80% of projects fail to do -Come in under budget or on time.

Regards,

Sean
See you in the surf
Construction contracts should have an incentive clause for on-time or early completion. Then let's see how many projects get done on time...LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Sean

KS,

All I can say is that a construction project that came in under budget had too large of a budget...

Just joking, congrats on doing what 80% of projects fail to do -Come in under budget or on time.

Regards,

Sean

[/quote]
Sean,
This is the first place I worked that don't have a bonus for coming early. But they do have liquidated damages for coming in late.
I worked on a trans-atlantic cable crossing from NJ to London and back to Rhode Island and down to NJ through NYC. I was in charge of both beach landings here in the States. Liquidated damages were $150K a day for each day past the contract time. Let's just say that project also came in early.

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
quote:
I would like to get involved. Email me with times and dates and I will try to make my schedule available. That is if you want someone that can’t even put down temp striping in a straight line. Or, maybe Menehune can input good information.

Don't have your Email... Punaweb Server still down.
Next meeting: January 26th,Keaau Elementary School, 5:45 - 8:00 pm.
(I'll have a reminder 5 days before meeting on my blog)
KPAG info site here

quote:
This is the first place I worked that don't have a bonus for coming early. But they do have liquidated damages for coming in late.

Is this the reason why costs are so high? Bids are put extremely high to make sure they can cover damages if they are late?

quote:

...They rented some heavy equipment to pour water from a loader bucket on to the front of a boat to make it look like a wave.
I gotta' tell ya' cha-ching, we named our price and they didn't flinch...

Or are Bids so high... because they can be and there is not much competition? [Big Grin]

Hope to see you at the next KPAG meeting KS.

If you come... please introduce yourself. I won't be hard to find.

-------
My Blog