Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
Tuesday, March 16th
If the partly cloudy skies continue for a few more hours, there are two satellites visible this evening:

ISS - Rises in the southwest about 7:09 PM , moving toward the northeast, passing near the moon at 7:12, -2.8 magnitude 

Hubble Space Telescope - Rises in the north-northwest at 7:35 PM, passes the moon at 7:37, the constellation Orion at 7:39, moving toward the southeast, 1.4 magnitude
Wednesday, April 7th
We have a short but bright pass of the ISS tonight if the relatively clear weather holds:

Rises: 7:42 PM in the NW
Path: The space station will move toward the SE passing near the cup of the Big Dipper
Brightness: -3.6 magnitude 

Happy viewing!
Thursday, April 29

There are several unusual objects in the sky over Puna tonight.  The forecast is for about 35% cloud cover over HPP, so keep your fingers crossed:

7:29 PM 
X-37B - the secret Air Force unmanned mini shuttle
Rises - SW
Path - toward the NE
Magnitude - a relatively bright 0.7

7:43 PM
Crew Dragon Demo, Space X unmanned test capsule
Rises - SW
Path - skirts the eastern edge of the constellation Orion
Path - toward the NE
Magnitude - a dim 3.5

8:15 PM
Hubble Space Telescope
Rises - WSW
Path - East 
Magnitude - 0.7
The last time I saw Hubble it became exceptionally bright the last 15 seconds it was visible, almost like an Iridium flash.  I’m guessing it was the sun’s reflection off it’s solar panels?

For details:
https://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx?lat=19.6025&lng=-154.9416&loc=HPP&alt=-7&tz=UCT10
Scroll down to Daily Predictions For Brighter Satellites
Appreciate the heads up! These things are 5G right? How many layers of foil do I use? Iridium-192 is radioactive, how much iodine do I need to put in catchment tank?
These things are 5G right?

At least!  Who knows with the X-37B though.  It’s top, TOP secret so could even be 6 or 7G?  Probably best to head for cover at 7:29, under multiple layers of aluminum foil, or even better, sheets of lead if you have any lying around the property.  If not, find the nearest, deepest lava tube.
If you're really concerned, you can probably shoot them down if you can find a gun that fires bullets at 17,000 mph. I suspect recoil might be an issue, but I'm no expert on guns. You can also shoot the Moon but you might need a bigger gun - 25,000 mph bullet velocity is the minimum. You might need to wait quite a while to find out if you hit it though.
" how much iodine do I need to put in catchment tank?"

If you have been taking the specified amount, you can just pee in the tank.

It will be all good but foil can't hurt !
And don't forget the rule of thumb - if you don't have lead foil then you need at least eight layers of aluminum foil to provide the same protection as one layer of lead. I checked Ace earlier today and unfortunately, they were all out of lead foil, so it may be hard to find.
I heard the Covid vaccines will protect you. You may feel a little odd when the microchips “boot up”.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Yes, 8F, I heard that rumor as well. Just tell the nurse to wrap the syringe in lead foil before the injection. It breaks the microchip's ability to send any information and there's no way the feds can track you because they won't be able to tell who just got injected.