Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

I didn't witness the following, so it's second-hand information. Please bear that in mind. Apparently, this morning, there were some protestors at the CSO office parking lot in Hilo. The police were called and dispersed them, but there were reports of a drone being used to peer into office windows and photos of people's cars being taken. If true, the latter is a little disturbing.

True, Mr. Tom. The police didn't know if flying a drone was illegal. Protestors claim the drone was not someone in their group, and also called police. Thus, police were left perplexed.

Too much.

JMO.

ETA: Report was on the scanner.
http://governor.hawaii.gov/main/governor...kea-story/

Remarks of Governor David Ige as prepared

THE MAUNA KEA STORY, MAY 26, 2015

...full transcript of yesterday's press release as provided by governor-hawaii.gov available at link above.

i was, and very much still am, curious about #5 in his list of 10 significant actions requested of UH.

there are actually two versions depending on which of the pages on Ige's site one references:

5. Access rules that significantly limit and condition non-cultural access to the mountain must be moved expeditiously through the process. There is far too much routine access to this special place and it cannot continue to carry this burden.

5. Move expeditiously the access rules that significantly limit and put conditions on nonĀ­cultural access to the mountain.

i would definitely like to know any envisioned details regarding this request. and i will be very curious how such possible restrictions which may discriminate "culturally" or otherwise might stand up against constitutional law and equal rights.

in any case, thank your lucky 50th star for those civil rights protections.
50K votes doesn't even get you past the primary buckaroo!
Anyone can produce 50,000 signatures and thousands of hours of testimony for or against anything. It's meaningless.

I've been to the summit many times. I failed to see any desecration. Did you know there's a Coke machine at the top of Mt Fuji?

If we don't have the rule of law then we have mob rule. The protestors should show some respect for something much more important than one mountain and step back.
5. Access rules that significantly limit and condition non-cultural access to the mountain must be moved expeditiously through the process. There is far too much routine access to this special place and it cannot continue to carry this burden.

5. Move expeditiously the access rules that significantly limit and put conditions on nonĀ­cultural access to the mountain.

In either case, who decides whether or not my access to the area, is cultural or not? Is any one's culture more important than others?
The issue here is Mauna Kea and the stewardship as it continues to be developed on "Conservation Land"

I ask, again, that this litmus test be applied to all development, or not applied at all.

The police didn't know if flying a drone was illegal.

Current FAA "guidance" is: drones are legal when below 400' AGL, outside of restricted airspace, visible to the operator at all times, and "non-commercial" (no monetary gain). In any case the operation of a drone is probably outside HPD's jurisdiction.

Is any one's culture more important than others?

Leilanidude for the win: where astronomy seeks to understand a larger universe, how is it that different than any other spiritual quest? Mainstream religions build huge monuments in which to commune with their holy spirits, often with special fancy windows which admit the light of the heavens. Does a telescope not also fit this description?
kalakoa@ 6:41:45

Yes, yes and yes.
You win. Thank you.
Hear Hear!

Kalakoa for Mayor!
In either case, who decides whether or not my access to the area, is cultural or not? Is any one's culture more important than others?

Cultural Litmus Test?
Or Cultural Blood Test?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Gov. Ige -
"What has instead happened is that science has received most of the attention and it has gotten way ahead of culture in our work on the mountain. The proper balance between the two has been lost."

http://governor.hawaii.gov/main/governor...kea-story/

i find this statement by Governor Ige to be somewhat problematic. are science and "culture" such distinct entities to be diametrically contrasted and compared?

------------------------

on the subject of culture defined, there seems to be an overriding tendency throughout this whole flap to conjure up or unwittingly comply with divisive rhetoric which highly exaggerates this trending notion of cultural identity which has become blown WAY out of proportion and increasingly frames things into an us vs. them mentality. ..or if not directly confrontational or condescending in tone an "i'm special, i'm innately exceptional" mentality. unfortunately, i see the word "culture" becoming bastardized into a cover word representing less than enlightened thinking, to put it somewhat mildly.