Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Home to Hawaii...
Aloha,

I am a graduate of UHH and always loved the big Island but life drifted me away all the way to New York City and I am trying to steer back home.

I will be on the Big Island from August 22-30 to look and buy land in the Puna District before the price becomes totally unaffordable, hopefully someday build a home and move there.

However, I am not sure where to buy. For example, why would one purchase land in Fern Acres rather than Orchid land or Fern Forest? (Besides the fact it’s cooler on higher elevation)

How cold does it get on Fern Forest? Are most of you farming? Our current thinking is that Orchid land is the best bet since it is on lower elevation and therefore warmer climate.

If anyone has a bed and breakfast on Fern Acres I would like to spend a few nights there to get a feel of the place. Any advise/suggestions on how to select a piece of land, deal with real estate brokers, things to look for and lookout for is gratefully appreciated.

Mahalo,
Ajit

Ajit
Ajit, I read on another forum that the temperature drops 4 degrees for every 5000 foot of elevation from sea level, however in Fern Acres three subdivision makai from Fern Forest which sits at apx 1500-1700 feet elevation, it will get down close to 50 degrees some nights. I understand after one acclimates this is pretty chilly. We will be building in Eden Roc 1800 ft and will be including a air tight wood burning stove for heat. Hope this helps. Didn't realize you were there already, I was thinking you were headed over next month.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Ajit... there are many schools of thought. Elevation was one of our major issues. Below 800 to 1000 feet, the trades haven't hit the island yet, so expect hot, humid and mujggy. 1000 to 1500 still rather dry. 1500 to 2500, cool and wet. over 2500.. often less wet but colder.

As for choosing one subdivision over another, my thoughts would be CC&R's and road/power/phone accedss. Fern Forest is rough in most areas with limited power and generally 3 acre lots. Leilani estates is twice the price but has good roads, power and very restrictive CC&R's (good or bad depending on your desires.). I strongly recommend you drive up and down streets to get the feel. Neighbors can make or break a neighborhood. Also to be considered is the road access to the hiway. If you will work in Hilo, 3 minutes from the hiway is a lot different than 25 minutes from the hiway.

Good luck. Feel free to be in touch. I am up N. Glenwood Rd. (Fren Forest is on S. Glenwood), while Fern Acres and Hawaiian Acres are on S. Kulani at a lower elevation.

Smile Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I arrived at the Island last night and staying at Lee or Ana's place for a few nights in Orchidland Estates. It's nice and peaceful place.

Appreciate your feedback. I guess picking the correct elevation/temp that meets individual disposition is critical.

I like what I see in Orchidland. Still need to take a look at some of the subdivisions at higher elevations.

If any of you are able to show me around your subdivision please give me a call at 917 763-5159.

Mahalo
Ajit

Ajit
Hello,
Is anyone familar with the lower part of Hawaiian acres subdivision? How cool is it in that location and how far from Hilo? My understanding is that HA still have nice wooded lots.
Mahalo
Ajit

Ajit
Aloha, adias. There are some nice lots in the lower portion of Hawaiian Acres that have easy access to the highway from Ainaloa. The lower portion will be a little cooler than Orchidland close to the highway but less cool than Fern Forest or Fern Acres. I am a realtor with RE/MAX in Pahoa and if you have any other questions, feel free to call me at 987-9243 (I won't call you to bother you in case you're already working with a realtor).

John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Aloha Ajit,

My wife and I have a small house in lower Hawaiian Acres, and feel the climate is perfect. Typically low 80's during the day and low 60's at night, we don't use heat or air conditioning. It is about 20 minutes to Hilo. There is little or no soil in this area so you have to be creative in your plantings.

We are close to Ainaloa Estates which makes an easy trip if your going in the Pahoa direction, going out towards Kurtistown is about 5 miles.

We just returned from a two week trip there and hated to leave. Hope this helps.

Scott

Aloha Scott,

Thanks for the info. I drove around Fern Forest to Hawaiian Acres and Leilani Estates to Hawaiian Shores, but didn’t find something within our criteria/budget.

As Pam mentioned access to the highway can be a big deal if you have to commute to town often. We also avoided Lava Zones 1 and 2 since this can add to insurance cost in the long terms.

However, good news! We got a 2 acre piece of property (in Escrow) in Orchidland Estates on 37th in a rather lush area and what seems like a good neighborhood.

It’s close to Pohaku Street, so relatively easy access to Hilo, Pahoa and Volcano. Hopefully it will get through Escrow without any problems.

Phase 2 is a put a house on the lot, eventually. We are thinking of rustic three bedroom Hawaiian Plantation Style house on stilts, but were unable to find any information on this type or design/architecture yet.

Are most of you building your own homes (owner/builder)? I have little experiance in building a house, but a small budget as well ;-) Any advise on taking this path?

Ajit

Edited by - adias on 09/04/2005 22:39:35
We are owner builders. We have built 2 homes here in Oklahoma and will be building ours in Tiki Gardens hopefully this late fall, winter. You can apply as owner builder when you apply for a permit. You will need an electrician and plumber or at least work under their license if they will let you. There are great how to books on building homes and if you pick a simple home to build and are fairly in good shape you can do it with some help. But you need to study and get prepared. Maybe do something like volunteer with Habitate for Humanity or help someone else to build a home. It may be the hardest work you have ever done but also the most rewarding to see a home come together. I think owner built homes can be even better than many contractor built homes. You won't be able to sell it for a year as owner builder. Some of the kit homes might be a way for you to go. I have heard that folks on the island are very willing to help also. I think some sort of an organization for owner builders would be great to help each other.

Nancy,
An owner/building organization or even a site that provides information for owner builders is indeed an excellent idea. It would save countless hours for new builders and provide confidence and a network of sources to draw on.

What books on building homes would you recommend?

Would a rustic three bedroom Hawaiian Plantation Style house on stilts with a extra large lanai be difficult to build? Where would I get the plans for something like this?

Ajit