Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
So will TMT be built? I'm starting to wonder.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
maybe try give the authoritarian sensationalism a rest, Kapoho Joe.
Leilanidude, Not to many protectors vehicle's would leak fluids if they are SUV's, tundras, and escalades. Some worry the million visitors that are to be expected every year after the TMT project is complete may have a higher chance of fluid leaks, piss stops, cigarette butts, diapers, gum, bottle caps, ect, ect. JMO, All these new rules, laws, inspections and extra charges(kama'aina should be free) to visit the summit of maunakea really will show the mismanagement or (blind eye attitude) that took place for decades by many who took in millions already.

P.S. If a kid graduates Pahoa high, Haas, or say ka'u with a 4.0, and a 1,900-2,000 point SAT score and wants to become an engineer or astronamer to work in such an atmosphere as the summit of maunakea. How could this kid get any type of help or scholarship's needed, would they have to leave island for the proper degrees, go where? Any suggestions of any scholarship's that are offered to local kids like this, with these types of aspirations and learning qualities?. Or would being Hawaiian make any difference to the type of scholarships offered, if any?
Also in which ways could a 1,4000,000,000 billion dollar TMT project benefit the average local resident whether young, middle aged or golden( many enjoy the benefits maunakea provides now)?. A few reminders of the many pro's that such projects come from would be appreciated, mahalo in advance.

Terrible spelling so I had to correct it, sorry.
I'm so sorry to see this happening. I truly believe blocking the telescope construction is a bad thing for Hawai'i, for many reasons.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
thinking a little extra cautionary restraint for now on the part of law enforcement would be a wise move. better than possibly playing into the hands of some protestors who may seek to provoke a response which they can then exploit by playing the part of heroically righteous victims at the villainous hands of an oppressively authoritarian state.
Remember that there are over 160 Hawaiians Only programs, be it scholarship, housing, education. Not to mention Kamehameha schools and other wealthy trust in place for Native Hawaiians. So if that Pahoa, Ka'u, or HAAS student has one drop of Hawaiian, they are IN like Flynn.
I support the fact that there are a lot of shady histories that have built the Hawaii that we know today. And truth be told, Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians alike have played into both the GOOD and BAD pieces of this history. I can't believe in its entirety the narrative of the "poor natives." Native dignitatiries and the royals themselves played just as much a role in this mess we are in today. I say Enough of that already. Time for Hawaiians to stop leaving out key pieces of history and accept the fact that in this state...fake or not....you are entitled to race-based programs and monies that 80 percent of the other residents of the state do not have. We have also become quite used to smearing folks who speak truths. That is why most of the non-koko Hawaiians are often reluctant to speak up.
Mauna wa kea is everyone's who lives here today locally(great future and Life resource). JMywish,please stop the illigal selling and developing of such a treasure, while further stripping history and culture from this islands natives. Its takeing the heart,soul,and mind of many who i grew up with and who cherish maunakea the way its been for centuries, only to benefit outside investors and special locally ran interests groups.
“The pohaku were laid in the middle of the road... Blessed with hookupu"
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...mauna-kea/

If the stones can be laid and blessed on a paved road, and an ahu can be built on the lawn of the Visitor's Center, doesn't this mean that Hawaiian beliefs and culture can exist side by side with buildings and pavement? That the spiritual can coexist with the material?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Rainyjim,

"Just curious...if there is no cleaning station then whats the point of inspecting? In other words, whats the procedure if invasives are found?"

It's a deterrence policy. Observatory vehicles found in an unacceptable state are sent back to sea level and the relevant staff member/s can face a ban from the mountain, although I have no idea how that would be enforced. Incidentally, this also applies to observatory staff who bring their personal vehicle to Hale Pohaku. I also think one argument about having a cleaning station at HP or the VIS is that's it's already too late, as invasives would have already been brought to a sensitive area.

As for today's events, well, they are very troubling. I may have missed it, but have not seen the media report that the protesters have now closed off the mountain to everyone, not just TMT construction crews. No observatory staff or visitors can get to the summit and there has been some hostility from some protestors to those who attempted the drive. In addition, earlier today some people already in the summit area were not allowed to drive down. That is a serious safety concern and should not be allowed to happen again.

My fear right now is what has been a relatively good relationship between observatory staff and the protesters may start to break down. I also suspect others whose business relies on access to the summit won't be too happy and without doubt there are going to be a lot of very unhappy tourists.
I suspect the police / DLNR suspect Gov. Ige will send the national guard in shortly - based off this - I suspect that the police / DLNR limited their actions today in an attempt to maintain their friend and family connections.

Hardly surprising. I'm interested to see how this all plays out. I hope the TMT people (employees) are able to keep a positive mindset - perhaps even a sense of humor and that this unprecedented delay won't drive them towards a decision that will negatively impact the island and astronomy's place on Mauna Kea.

Alohas