Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
Can little frogs like the Coqui help spread the ROD or Rat LungWorm?

Pigs can certainly spread the ROD.

If the RLW nematodes are any good at evolution, they will adapt to use coqui as a host.
Has anyone driven around the perimeter of PGV lately ?

The Ohia's are all in bloom and they are beautiful !

All along Kapoho Road and Pohoiki Road.
If the Ohia...
Why put...
Why not keep...
Why not have...
Can little frogs...
What happens to...
Is the PGV's...

gypsy,
I think you forgot to ask whether ROD can spread from the ohia vascular system to the human circulatory system, or worse, human brain neurons and synapses. Occasionally, it does seem plausible.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Obie, good afternoon to you.
The once leaking production well is not being used anymore for production so it would make some sense that the areas living Ohia trees are doing better than before. PGV drilled a new production well to replace the old leaking production well just after the large tropical storm in 2014. The Rod was first noticed by some area residents in 2009-10 but the Rod was not identified or named until 2013, some four years later. Once the Ohia tree is infected with ROD it can take up to three years to show signs of the infection. So some near by Ohia trees could still be dying today, three years after the old well was put out of commission in 2014. I am hoping that in another year or two this ROD will magically subside for the Big Island altogether. jmo
Can you Obie produce any worthy pictures of the PGV property before their operations? Can you produce any pictures of the PGV property just prior to 2010? It would be interesting to compare PGV "ROD's GROUND ZERO" pictures Prior, during and after the ROD's breakout. jmo
first noticed by some area residents in 2009-10 but the Rod was not identified or named until 2013

According to some locals, symptoms go back to 1999.

Don't let that stop you from blaming PGV for every single problem this island has, though I would like an explanation of how PGV caused the State to keep more of our TAT for the rail project on Oahu, I'm sure there must be a connection.
Can you produce any pictures of the PGV property just prior to 2010?

Google Earth lets you put a date range into their maps to compare over a specific time period:

View a map over time

Google Earth automatically displays current imagery. To see how images have changed over time, view past versions of a map on a timeline.

Open Google Earth.
Find a location.
Click View and then Historical Imagery or, above the 3D viewer, click Time.

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148094?hl=en

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE, great Google earth Idea. Did you yourself try this method on the PGV property? All I got was outdated cloud covered pictures around the PGV plant, maybe you can have better luck and share.

Kalakoa, Everyone wanted the rail on Oahu so why complain about it all the time?
Everyone wanted the rail on Oahu so why complain about it all the time?

Besides the fact that it's a "tax mining" operation and not actual "transportation", they're making the neighbor islands pay for it.

Sorry Gypsy, but I don't know the answer to the 4 whys directed at me.

What I think would answer a lot of questions is for some Scientists to study the ROD, RLW, (and the Cosmos.) All could be done here and now with the support of the community and some decent funding.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was on NPR during my drive home and talked about the Cosmic Perspective saying that we are all made up of the same components as everything else in the Universe and that we have genetic similarities to everything, such as oak trees or dogs, etc....

As pertaining to the Ohia, while we may not be able to catch the specific fungal infection carried by the ambrosia beetle, it is a disease that is running concurrent to human borne illnesses started by parasites and ending in deadly fungal infections. The mirroring of health in larger populations of all species will continue as long as this beautiful planet continues to become more and more toxic to life.